U.S.Military,which branch did you serve in?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ifithitu, Jul 15, 2017.

1. ifithitu

ifithitu Well-Known Member

I served in the U.S.Marine Corps on a two year enlistment, serving twenty months of that enlistment.Vietnam Vet 68/69.

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

4 years in the Air Force, in peacetime. My severest trial was 10 months in Thule during the year before my 21st birthday. No booze, no girls. It was hell.

3. allenr

allenr Member

30 years in the Marine Corps. 9/9/59 to 9/9/89.

joeb1 likes this.
  4. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

That's a long time. Did you enjoy it?

5. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Usmc. 1978 - 1894

6. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Hmm. That must be jarhead code. ;)

joeb1 likes this.
  7. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

greg_r was a time traveler while in the service? Maybe he was in special forces of the Marines. Gotta pull a leg once in awhile.

8. gumpy

gumpy New Member

Nah. They can't count unless it starts with oompah! Or something like that. Lol! Pulling ya'lls leg now, don't come oompah my butt!

9. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

United States Army

3rd cav.jpg

1966 -1968

Jim

10. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

U.S. Army 1966-1968

Tommy

11. allenr

allenr Member

Wow! Tough question.

I enjoyed the commeradery among the men. I enjoyed the training and even the sometimes grueling exercises in the field. I also enjoyed the pomp of the parades, appearances, etc.

I did not enjoy my four years in Nam or getting shot twice. I enjoyed the two Purple Heart ceremonies. I did not enjoy being offshore Cuba at Bay of Pigs and the Cuban Missile Crisis, or in 1963 when sent to reinforce Gitmo as Castro threatened it. I did not enjoy my last combat deployment in Grenada in 1983. Anyone who enjoys that kind of assignment is nuts. But I enjoyed being proud that I did my job in those places, and in every other duty post I had.

My body was done in when I retired. if it had not been stressed from old wounds and age, I would have gladly stayed in longer.

Oorah! Semper Fi!

12. allenr

allenr Member

Greg, you did what no other Jarhead has ever done. You served in a time warp. I wish I could do that because I would be getting younger every day.

13. Donn

Donn Member

Army, 95B20, Military Police. 1969-71. Vietnam, 1969-70.

14. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

USAF 1969 - 1989 Enjoyed the travel Korea 1970-71, Italy 1975-78, Crete Greece 1981-83.;)

15. AzShooter

AzShooter New Member

USAF 1974 - 1979.

Best years of my life. I had a great job in Public Relations. Wrote for the base newspaper and was a Photojournalist. I was able to write about most jobs done on the base and met hundred of interesting people from Airman to General.

I was offered a large bonus to stay in and my choice of bases. My EX wife said she'd divorce me if I stayed in. Heck she divorced me anyway so I really should have stayed with the job an career I loved.

16. joeb1

joeb1 New Member

USN Nov. 61 - Mar. 66[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  17. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I was not physically able to serve, so my hat is off to each and every RT member who served for me and the rest of the nation. Thank you all and God bless.

joeb1 likes this.
  18. mc110

mc110 New Member

Served 30 years in the Navy. Spent seven years of my service time in the U.S.A.. Rest of the time was at numerous overseas posts, and a little ship riding. My first tour was in Everglades, assigned to a Army unit. Enjoyed that tour very much, great bunch of troops who taught me a lot. After that overseas, and one tour in DC, in between overseas assignments. Retired in Hawaii, and my kids still live there. Upon my retirement, I was blessed with the greatest job in my life. I went to work on a temporary assignment with the VA
    as part of a research group whose job was to prove to Congress that there was PTSD in the military. We had a group of the top psychiatrists and psychologists in the country (I am not a psychologist or psychiatrist) to do PTSD studies on a select group of Vietnam Veterans. I was blessed because I got to be friends with some of the bravest men and women in the military who had gone through hell and back. Some of them are some of my closest friends today. To make a long story short, we proved some military personnel did indeed suffer from PTSD. They deserved Disability Benefits, as well as medical benefits
    for treatment of PTSD. Congress agreed. I then went on to be a FLEA for 15 years.

joeb1 likes this.