Ruger Talk Forums banner

Two tone revolver. DIY

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  buster40c 
#1 ·
I have a Charter Arms Bull Dog 44 spl. and I just don't care for the mat finish. So I decided to try and polish the cylinder. Quite a few hours and black fingers later I had the cylinder looking SS shiny. I then thought well making the gun two tone could look nice so then I started to sand the barrel.
Oh boy at first I used sanding paper that was way to course. I had it looking really rough making Bubba proud. I wondered was I going to be able to smooth it out or not. LOL I thought well maybe I can paint it black to cover it up. I tried experimenting with some cold blue but it doesn't work on stainless steel. Oh boy I was really making Bubba proud by now.
So I found some 600 grit paper made for using on metal. I got to rubbing it and the rough area started to smooth up. I thought well this is promising and I might tell Bubba to go sit on the porch swing and watch the squirrels play. Using the 600 I got the barrel looking looking pretty good. I then used my dremel with 1500 grit body buffing compound. That took a lot of black out of the metal and shined it up even more. Then I took some metal cleaner/polish again using the dremel. That brought even more black out of the metal. I used the buffing compound and polish on the barrel and cylinder.
Bubba muttered something as he walked off after looking at the results. I like the two tone look it has now.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like a lot of work. I still do it that way at times if the metal is rough or pitted. If ya wanna get blue off quidk without metal damage, use a rust remover on the blue. Naval jelly, ospho, or a commercial remover like Birchwood Casey's Blue Remover.

Can'i advise anything for stripping anodizing. I usually sand it off if it is bad or lightlty polish it and paint it if the wear is not bad.

I try to keep strippers, degreasers, & wood strippers around for the older wood & blue beaters I pick up at the gunshows. Pwoplw vuy that older stuff if it looks nice. Those are getting fewer and faether between. Just about everything these days has poly stocks & a dull black finish. Cheap to produce & durable. I still buy the old stuff, even if it's broken or fugly.

#4 · (Edited)
Revolver Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Air gun
The best and fastest bluing stripper I have found is vinegar and a tooth brush. Wet whatever you want to remove old bluing with vinegar and let it sit a few minutes. Then brush it down with the vinegar wet tooth brush. Be careful because any finish the vinegar gets on will be coming off. To strip a Colt 32 special it took maybe 10 minutes to totally strip it.
Using some 320 then some 600 paper made the frane look like stainless steel.
Second pic is after stripping with vinegar. First pic is after 600 grit polishing. Third pic after doing a cold blue. It came out fairly nice for cold bluing.
Air gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Computer keyboard Trigger Wood Revolver

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.