Ruger Talk Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today for the FIRST time I had both my RUGER 57 and RUGER LC9s jam. Never had either jam before.
RUGER 57-> I think this was from not gripping it tightly enough when I rested it on my range bag to steady for zeroing. There was a failure to eject an empty. I have a HOLOSUN 509T FULLY enclosed circle/dot sight on it and that extra weight, including its steel mounting plate, may have also slowed the slide enough to cause failure to eject. I need a lower (thinner) mounting plate of aluminum for it. Meanwhile I'll remove the plate from the slide, RE-mount the sight, wrap it in cloth and tape and use it as a handle to sand down the base of the plate with wet-or-dry sandpaper on a glass plate to assure exact flatness if not exact level.:cautious:

RUGER LC9s-> I have NO idea what happened.I was using round nose FMJ ARMSCOR ammo made in USA. Oh well, $hit happens.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What’s the mileage on each one so far?
Both pistols are relatively new with maybe 80 rounds through the LC9s and about 250 through the RUGER 57 (5.7 x 28 cartridge).
I clean them after each trip to the range and that requires (for me, at least) that I take the barrels out to clean them and also brush the frame parts while holding it upside down. This way I can see if outside dirt and debris got in. "Debris happens".

·
Registered
30 Posts
Both pistols are relatively new with maybe 80 rounds through the LC9s and about 250 through the RUGER 57 (5.7 x 28 cartridge).
I clean them after each trip to the range and that requires (for me, at least) that I take the barrels out to clean them and also brush the frame parts while holding it upside down. This way I can see if outside dirt and debris got in. "Debris happens".
Geez. That’s a head scratcher. I wonder if it’s just the notorious, modern day, Ruger QC that seems to be affecting every other new piece off the line.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Geez. That’s a head scratcher. I wonder if it’s just the notorious, modern day, Ruger QC that seems to be affecting every other new piece off the line.
Dunno. Both pistols worked fine before. Might me not gripping tightly enough. I'll tremor next week at my club range.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 2 cents and it is not worth much lol..
I am sure you did ,but Ill ask anyway
. Did you field stripped and cleaned the guns after you got them ?
And it could just be the ammo !
And sometime just needs a couple hundred rounds through it to break it in !

FYI

This Advice is from a 68 y/o Crusty Old Fart who may be senile LOL

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, this crusty old (78) fart did disassemble and clean both pistols after each trip to the range.
BUT, upon thinking about the RUGER 57 I think maybe I will always need to grip it "above average" firmly to ensure the slide operates properly because, as mentioned above, I've mounted a HOLOSUN 509T fully enclosed circle/dot sight with a steel HOLOSUN mounting plate. That extra weight likely slows down the slide enough to make gripping the pistol more firmly a necessity.

I am looking for an aluminum aftermarket mounting plate. In the meantime I'm having my gunsmith grind down the bottom of the base by 1/8" which can help a bit. I've already ground an unnecessary 1/4" off the front end of the base.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I figured you did clean them but had to ask. If you do find the problem please update, I have been lucky so far with my SR.
Another though and yes thats scary lol If I remember on a SR9 I think some had to polish the magazine feed ramp ! But I am woring from memory and thats scary :O Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts