Twisted Industries 22 Conversion Ruger LC9

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by weblance, Mar 3, 2013.

1. weblance

weblance New Member

I was bumping around the KelTec Owners Group forum, and came across a mention of a 22 conversion for the KelTec P3-AT/P32. I went to the websight of the maker of the conversion, but there is no mention of the conversion for those pistols yet. What I did find was a mention of a 22 conversion for the Ruger LC9. Its in Beta testing at the moment, and it is listed among their conversion kits. It incorrectly shows a KelTec P11 in the photos, but since they already make a kit for the P11, and PF9, Im hoping its not a misprint. I sure would like to see this come to market, as well as the kit for the P3-AT/P32. Because the P3-AT/P32 is so very close to the LCP, there is hope a 22 conversion for the LCP could also be a possibility. This is, of course, just speculation on my part, but it looks like it COULD be a possibility. Here is a link to Twisted Industries websight, look about 2/3rds down the page for the mention of the 22 conversion for the LC9.

http://www.twistedindustries.net/products/

I posted the comments above, over at the Ruger Forum in early December... the comments below are todays update....

Finally... New Pics Are Online
    There has been some progress on updating the websight... there are finally pics up. Before the LC9 kit was listed as coming soon, and in Beta testing, but the pics were of the Kel-Tec kit. NOW... the pics are of the actual LC9 with 22 conversion kit installed. I emailed TI a while back, and they said they were hoping to have the kits available by Feb 2013, but that has come and passed. I really hope it wont be much longer. New pics of the actual product gives me hope... There are 5 new pics on TI websight... Here is one...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  2. dug23

dug23 New Member

I would buy a LC9 just to have this conversion.

3. dug23

dug23 New Member

Find out any more about this?

4. weblance

weblance New Member

I got my conversion in August 2013. It was the first one of 12 that were released. It was kit 001. I believe there were 12 more released at a later date. TI was having problems sourcing the magazine floorplate, because they were getting them from Ruger. When things went nuts with everyone trying to buy every gun available, and Ruger upping production, they cut TI off on floorplates. I found this out when I called and asked about extra magazines. TI was looking for another source of a floorplate that would work.

HERE is a link to a thread with alot of info. It should answer any questions you have, except when will more kits be available. I dont have an answer for that.

5. dug23

dug23 New Member

You say you recieved #01. Well how does it perform? You think it will be made a production item? Does the LC9's long trigger pull effect the firing of the conversion. Come on man give us the details.

6. weblance

weblance New Member

Mine functions perfectly, with the exception that it doesnt lock the slide open on an empty magazine, all the time. It does lock open, maybe 70% of the time. The kit is well made, assembles easily onto the frame quickly, and shoots great. I think TI has every intention of making it a production item, but they are being cautious to have everything perfect before they release a bunch of kits. It could kill a product to release it before it was perfect. They went to alot of trouble, and expense to make the ones they have so far, it wouldnt make sense to not make more than the few that have gone out.

All the info I have posted is linked into the post above. Did you read that thread?

I can answer any other questions you have, if you like.

7. dug23

dug23 New Member

I couldn't get the link it open. But thank you for your help and time. It's much appreciated.

Here's another question... Will this conversion work with a LC9 frame with a upgraded trigger from Galloway?

8. weblance

weblance New Member

I doubt it will have the energy to ignite a rimfire round with the Galloway kit installed.

9. weblance

weblance New Member

Copied from another sight, when I got my kit...

Well... Today was the day I have been waiting for, for over a year now. The Twisted Industries 22 conversion kit for the Ruger LC9 arrived. Nicely packed in a cardboard box with the TI logo on it, I was excited to open the box. Inside was the slide, recoil spring and guide rod, barrel and one magazine. I was happy to see that the magazine floorplate is an actual Ruger "Pinky Extention" floor plate. I like the flat floorplate better, and it is easily swapped. I decided that I had enough time to assemble the kit onto my LC9 and get to the range for maybe 45 minutes. I ran into just a little trouble when I tried to push the takedown pin back into the frame after swapping the 22 components in. I had to LIGHTLY file a little bit more clearance in the underside of the slide for the pin to slip in. Now that I have played with it a bit, that might not have been necessary, because I may have had the barrel slightly twisted. Never the less, it took maybe 2 minutes with a small half round file, and the assembly was complete.

To the range !! I took a box of CCI Blazer Bulk because I have found it always performs well in my 22 autoloaders. I was happy to discover that the magazine actually holds 11 rounds easily, and can be inserted into the magwell with the slide in battery, with the full 11 rounds, and its still not tight. 12 rounds wont go, but 11 is what it seems like it was actually designed for, even though TI says 10. Guess what? This thing runs PERFECTLY. I shot 110 rounds, and it was absolutely PERFECT. No malfunctions of any kind. The slide locks back about half the time though, but I dont really care too much about that. My sights are a little off, but it shoots very accurately. Hitting a 3" bullseye at 5 yards is very easy, and it seems to have the accuracy of my other 22 autoloaders of the same barrel length, and type. I didnt shoot it at any ranges longer than 5 yards, because I just didnt have time, and the next distance that has target boards is 25 yards, and that will be a strech for this little pistol. The sights are the standard 3 white dot style just like the factory 9mm slide has, and are windage adjustable .

Is there anything bad to report? Not that I can think of. I think its a win for TI, and I am looking forward to shooting this alot. I also am wanting to hear reports from the guys that also got these early production kits.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. dug23

dug23 New Member

Awesome write up my friend. The kit just looks badass!!!! One question. In the second picture it looks like your safty lever is missing? Where did it go lol.

11. weblance

weblance New Member

I was just messing around and wanted to see what it would be like without a safety like some of the other defense pistols. I have this LC9 frame dedicated to the 22 conversion, so I just left the safety lever off.

12. weblance

weblance New Member

Another comment. Since my kit was an early released one, there was no literature included. I didnt realize the square notch was for the takedown pin. I actually filed a little clearance in the area where the slide lock lever goes, to allow assembly. That was a mistake, and isnt needed.

Its a great 22 conversion, and I hope TI can get the parts they need, and bring it to market in a large way.

13. dug23

dug23 New Member

Just picked up a Lc9, trigger is long thinking of doing a Galloway precision upgrade

14. gene814

gene814 gene814

LC9 conversion doesn't show on Twisted Industries website

I still don't see the LC9 conversion kit on Twisted Industries website. Any idea when it will be available?

15. CallMaker

CallMaker Guest

I have the TI conversion for the Kel Tec PF-9 and it runs flawlessly. If the Ruger kit runs as well it should be a sure winner.

16. weblance

weblance New Member

No... I have no idea. I would email, or call them and ask.

17. weblance

weblance New Member

18. gene814

gene814 gene814

Twisted Industries LC9 conversion

I have purchased a conversion kit for my LC380. This also works for the LC9. The kit works perfectly and is well worth the money to shoot the cheaper 22 LR bullets.

19. gene814

gene814 gene814

Got my conversion kit a couple months ago. Mine is for my LC380. Same kit fits both the LC9 and LC380. The parts installed smoothly. When I shot it, all my CCI Minimags ran fine. I even ran some inexpensive CCI Blazer and they ran fine. For those buying the new Ruger LC9s, which is striker fired and not hammer fired, I don't think that this conversion will work. So be careful what version of LC9 you have.