TV antenna

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by buster40c, Dec 19, 2016.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Thought some of ya'll that want to ditch cable or satellite service might like to try this indoor amplified digital TV antenna. I get around 50 channels which I just deleted around 20 because of foreign language or for other reasons. I had an RCA indoor antenna and this new one works a lot better.

A friend of mine lives out in the sticks and she had an outdoor antenna made for digital TV channels. She barely got 2 channels and they were poor reception. So I bought her an antenna like mine and she gets around 15-20 channels. A few channels got better reception if we stood the antenna up of just turned it a bit. Usually I don't need to move my antenna to get all the stations. Sometime as a result of weather I guess I might have to position it a bit different.

I really like how well this cheap antenna works. You might give it a try.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-Pro-Bar-HD-Amplified-Antenna-33961/50901691

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Well, I live in the hilly sticks. Ain't going to work.

3. RTAdmin

RTAdmin Administrator Administrator

I tried an antenna after I ditched cable and we couldn't get anything so I returned it. Netflix and youtube is enough for my family because I refuse to give TWC any more of my money than I have to. One of the worst companies ever in my opinion.

All the same I'll check out an amplifier. We were talking about this just last night (getting cheap cable again) so it may be worth looking into.

4. buster40c

I found if I don't get an "amplified" antenna then I will not get squat for reception. The friends outside antenna wasn't amplified either and she didn't get squat where as this amplified indoor cheapy worked good for her just like it does for me.
    Make sure when doing channel set up that you have the TV set for antenna not cable.
    For $30 give it a try and if it doesn't work take it back to WM and get your money back.

5. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I tried several amplified antennas. No go on any of them. RCA, GE, and Mohu. The Mohu is the top rated amplified antenna. Funny, it worked great just 10 miles away, got about 50 or so channels. That was with the cheap GE unit. I get no signal at the new house, and it's at higher elevation.

There is a website I found that tells you what you can receive with an antenna at your specific address, I'll try and find it, but when I move the cursor to my house, it says I can get 3 channels if I go to an outside antenna.

6. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

None of the indoor amplified ones are worth crap. I have the Mohu that's supposed to have a 60 mile range. I live 27 miles from the broadcast towers for my area. All the major TV stations have their towers right there. I can not get ABC at all, CBS is shaky, PBS occasionally cuts out. NBC, Fox and CW all come in very strong. The outdoor antennas with the vanes on them are the way to go. You can reach out to about 45 miles if you have a quality unit up high on the roof or a pole. But a 60 mile indoor unit will only give you static at 40 miles in my experience.

7. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

Get a KODI media streamer and get everything including movies in theatres now with no subscription fees.

8. buster40c

Sorry spikedriver but my getting around 60 channels when an outdoor antenna got squat tells me different. All I can say is it works very well for me. And I watch TV for free.

All I can say is try it and see if it works.

I checked into Kodi and it says my PC not compatible.

When streaming Kodi isn't that like watching you tube which uses data from my monthly data plan?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  9. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

One thing I'm curious about. My house is on the highest land in the area. About 1/4 mile away there are two towers. Wonder it being in close proximity to the towers have a negative effect?

10. havasu

havasu In the army now..

On my vacation home, I have a HD antenna mounted on a 10' mast outside, which leads into a 110v power booster. I have 25+ high definition TV channels which I pick up from 80 miles away. I love it but my G/F still loves her DirecTV, so the primary TV we watch is still sattelite fed, but the bedrooms still use the antenna.

BTW, I have DirecTV at my main house, and simply rented an additional HD box for ~$6.00 a month, purchased an additional satellite dish for the vacation home, so this luxury of having DirecTV costs me only $6.00 a month, which is cheap entertainment...

11. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I've got an outdoor antenna on a 30' tower,I can pick up Indy which is around 90 miles away,Ft. Wayne which is 50 and Dayton which is 70 or so. All I have to do is rotate it with the controller. We had Dish and Direct TV at different times and said to heck with it and switched back to the tower. We also have Netflix through the WII,that's all we need.

12. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Enlighten me. I have Direct TV at my main house. To get Direct TV at my secondary house, all I need is a dish and an extra box? Will Direct install the dish?

13. havasu

havasu In the army now..

No they wont Greg. I spent $90 and hired a company to install and fine tune the dish. Direct knows about this and said it is permitted since if i am not home, im at the vacation house. I just wish we would have spent $13 a month so i had a recorder instead of just a receiver.