Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sometimes see a veggy in the grocery store and when I get home I do a search for what it tastes like and how to cook it. I see so many reviews of foods saying oh it taste so good. So like an alcoholic I buy more than one to sample it. Oh that has been a big mistake many times.
I just tried yucca root which people said they would rather have it than white potatoes or sweet potatoes. Well of course I bought two roots to try it out. I know why it is called "yucca" root. I ate a couple pieces of it and trashed the remainder of it. IMO it is one of those foods you have to mix it with something else. It tastes kinda like a dull sweet potato with a bunch of sticky starch. I will choose the sweet potato instead. BTW Eaten raw it can be poisonous{hydrogen cyanide} so boil it good and best to remove the skin.

Quinoa supposed to be so good her husband and kids can't get enough of it. Yep two bags of it and 1.75 bags still in the cupboard. I had enough of it. Similar to grits in that you have to put something smothering it for taste.

Chia seeds are supposed to be really good stuff. Eat it quick because as it soaks up water think of snotty fish eggs and you get the idea of it. LOL Two bags with 1.75 still on the shelf. Give me tapioca any day over it.

Jicama- pronounced he-ka-mah "It’s easy to forget how juicy, crunchy, and downright exciting they are. I hear it all the time when customers bite into jicama". Well I bought one for a try and it just didn't downright excite me and contrary to others tastes I will choose an apple any day. It isn't bad but it wasn't exciting either.

Baked Kale making Kale chips. Not bad but hold a plate under it while you bite into the chips because they crumble into pieces. Think really thin potato chips and hold them gently.

Now I am not saying don't try these foods but don't buy like I did. You might actually like them and can make them taste good in some recipe. I do have fun with trying new things to eat. Hah! My waist size tells that I have enjoyed a lot of them.

What have you tried that kina sorta sucked eggs?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I love yucca (pronounced by Latinos, "JEW-cah."). You might have gotten some old root. the flavor is subtle but satisfying, and I like the texture.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am sure some people like yucca but it just wasn't something I could see my getting a taste for. The grocery stores always have it so I guess it is liked by many.

·
Registered
992 Posts
These kind of things all seem to fall into the category of, "If I was going hungry I'd eat a ton, but otherwise I'm not interested". Chicken gizzards fall into that category for me. I can and do eat them, but not for enjoyment. But if I was starving I'd eat 'em up without hesitating.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^I agree with that, Well I still might hesitate on some.

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
A lot has to do with how things are prepared. For an example: in Greece the Zucchini is cut as thin as potato chips and deep fried, they melt in your mouth. Here they always seem to make them thicker and more chewy. :D Just for the record I like gritts with just butter melted in.;)

·
Registered
992 Posts
+1 on the thin sliced zucchini chips. My sister used to make those, and they were awesome. As for grits, being a Yankee I was never educated in proper grits etiquette and the first time I saw them I just slopped them onto my plate with my scrambled eggs. They kind of got mixed together and wouldn't you know, they're actually pretty good that way...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts