trigger smooth click

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by buster40c, Sep 27, 2015.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I shot my SR40C today and I was far from having good results. I have to figure out a different grip because evidently I am squeezing my fingers on the grip while squeezing the trigger. This is causing me 4-6" wide right and a little low. I also noticed the trigger seems to be fairly gritty also.
    I thought maybe if I could get a smoother trigger and breaking point my shooting might be better also. I checked some past threads here on RT about installing the trigger kits or the ghost trigger. I watched a few you tube videos on installing the kits and one I watched he didn't replace anything. He just polished and lubed some areas. He used graphite powder everywhere that metal moved against metal and he polished the firing pin surface trip point. He said it really smoothed it up and good break as well.
    So I figured I would maybe just try lubing the metal to metal areas as well as the pin surface. I have an oil called Ultima Lube 11 from Wilson Combat which is the only lube I use on all my guns. Like graphite this oil gets deep into the metal surfaces. I saw a bearing test with this oil and no other oil they tested came close to the protection using this oil. So anyway I lubed any and all points of metal sliding against metal. I reinstalled the slide which was all I removed from the gun to do this oiling.
    Surprise - surprise holy jumping up and down the trigger has huge improvement on the gritty feel. The trigger break was smooth. I tried using my electronic fish weight instrument to check trigger pull weight with a make shift string to trigger. It was showing 5-7 LB. pull. So all I can say is the trigger feels much better. I am probably not going to kit the trigger. I need actually shoot it to really decide on that though.
    I am going to shoot another hundred rounds tomorrow to see if it makes a difference in my accuracy. I know one thing I better be careful so I don't have any zingers due to the smoother trigger now.
    I will update after shooting tomorrow.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  2. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

3. berettabone

berettabone In the army now..

It's amazing what a little lube will do................ask my wife.;)

4. buster40c

I am not asking your wife anything......she might be armed.
    Well todays shooting was much better. Except for my off and on moving around instead of holding still I shot much better today. I think it was more due to my different holding grip rather than the trigger but I think the trigger helped me keep from jerking the trigger.
    I am left handed but now grip with my right hand and lock it up with my left hand using left finger on trigger. Feels strange but it is working for me. I also adjusted the rear sight for bringing my shots up some. Now when I hold still on target I am hitting more on center target.
    I leaned my pvc frame with sheet against my shooting table and I found all 100 casings. All in all I was much more liking the results of today.

5. bondo44

bondo44 New Member

ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1443403579.040033.jpg ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1443403602.367787.jpg . Took it apart and she don't work that good any more

6. buster40c

If I could only remember how it came apart I wouldn't be so worried.

7. bondo44

bondo44 New Member

I got it. I put this one part backwards. Far from a gun smith but I am a mechanic

8. bondo44

bondo44 New Member

Broke a spring result of putting it in backwards does any one sell parts for my gun it's a ruger super blackhawk 44 three screw 1967

9. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

Brownells, maybe Ruger. Call them.

10. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

^^^^ What he said ^^^^

11. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

12. Oldtrader3

Oldtrader3 CDR3, Member NRA, Veteran

The way to shoot a SA revolver is with the stock pinched between the ball of your first finger and the first joint of your thumb. The rest of your hand should lightly squeeze the stocks just to hold the revolver steady.