Trigger job on Ruger SR1911 LW Commander

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by Tommycourt, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I had a trigger job done on my Ruger SR1911 LW and just got it back today and went to the range. The trigger before weighed in at 6lbs pull. Now it is set at 4lbs. pull and man did that make a difference! First of all I had 2 fliers which was right off the bat. I make the mistake of having my finger on the trigger before I was ready to shoot. Very amateurish! After that little incident (thankfully it was pointed down range) I began firing at my target. I cannot believe the difference that the trigger job did. At first it almost felt touchy however, after the initial stage, I was fine. Before the travel was taken up, the was a little "grind" before discharge and now that is gone. This is my conceal/carry and I am happy to say I feel much better with the pistol now than I ever felt before. There is no surprise when the trigger goes off. Do the take up and she is ready to rock and roll. I know the NRA says you should be surprised when the trigger goes off. I say you should know how the trigger is and should have no surprises when you discharge your firearm. Knowing your trigger is all important!
    Tommy

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

It is amazing how much a good trigger job helps.

I have done trigger jobs on several of my guns, and have done some drop in triggers , and always had great improvement in shooting.

Glad you like yours, I would like to see a range report (targets) with the new triiger.

Jim

3. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I apologize for my not taking the time to give you people a range report. I just wasn't thinking. I was shooting my reloads, 230gr Berry RN, 5.4 grns W231 and at 30 feet I was holding a 3-4 " pattern. For me, but maybe not for you, that was good shooting. I was concentrating more on the trigger than I was rather than the target. Honestly, I don't think I can fire a more accurate group than that. As I stated above, I did have 2 fliers. 1 hit on the 8 ring and the other on the 9 (barely creasing the 9 ring). Our 10 ring measures 4" x 6" and is a florescent green. I was happy with the consistency though. I fired 90 rounds today and many, many of them where right in the middle. Wish I could shoot them like that all the time, however I shoot much farther and my eyes blur. Not an excuse, but that's my story and Imma stickin to it!!!
    Tommy

4. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Free hand, standing, 10 yrds, 3-4" groups ...

Dang Tommy, whats not to like.

Lots of folks would love to shoot that good.

Be happy..:)

Jim

5. berettabone

berettabone In the army now..

I've got trigger work on a few.................some need it, some don't, but it sure doesn't hurt. My wife's SP101 took to a trigger job very well. A Beretta of mine also took very well. The rest of them don't need it. Hey, you'd be surprised how many people couldn't even hit the target from that distance. If your not a bullseye shooter, IMHO, if you hit the target, your good to go....................................