Training My Wife

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by brenthg, Jan 27, 2016.

1. brenthg

brenthg Professional Surveyor & Mapper

I use to handle firearms before we were married, and after that I didn't own any guns myself. Went shooting with my brother quite a lot, but she wasn't interested and discouraged it when we had little kids...no problem.

Now that we are close to retirement and planning to travel in an RV, she thought it would be a good idea to have a handgun for personal protection when out on the road. She bought me a CCW training session so I could get my license and I purchased an SR9, although too big to carry concealed on my person, I have it with me in the car or RV where ever we go.

Any tips on famaliarizing her with handling my gun? She has watched several safety videos with me on YouTube, and she is now familiar with the 4 gun safety rules. I bought some snap caps and a blue training magazine so she can actually put her hands on my SR9 and get familiar.

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Did you show her how not to hold a semi auto so that the slide doesn't take her thumb off her supporting hand? You might be surprised how many new semi auto shooters lose some skin and get bloody by holding their support hand over top the shooting hand on the grip. The slide comes back and hits the free hand thumb.
    Hickok45 has a video about it. Here it is. He also has one on incorrectly shooting a revolver.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=r573VYk88eM

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016

3. brenthg

brenthg Professional Surveyor & Mapper

I haven't taken her to the range yet, but I did explain how the slide comes back after each shot and let her practice her grip. I learned by experience...had several bloody thumb events before I learned.