Training how not to shoot your hearing?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by buster40c, Sep 17, 2017.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I have been wondering how I can protect my hearing in case I was involved in a moments notice shooting. I don't want to wear head ear muffs or tension band ear plugs around my neck whenever I go somewhere. I thought about wearing ear plugs that pretty much hide in my ear canals so I could be more of a concealed carrier. The only problem with that is it is really difficult to hear any conversation with anyone. I imagine having ear plugs in when involved in a shooting might be a point of attack in a trial because they could say I couldn't hear what the bad guy might or might not have said before the bang.

So I came up with this idea which I think could solve the problem. Wear an ear plug in the ear on the side I hold the gun. The other ear is left open. In case of shooting a gun I put my finger in the open ear before pulling the trigger. Another good reason to train shooting one handed wouldn't you say? Perhaps I just saved my hearing from being shot out.

Just ask yourself would your hearing be blown out if you shot your gun three times back to back? Imagine you are not in an open area so the bang repercussion has nowhere to dissipate away from you. Yeah you hold a gun in front of yourself while inside a car and you pull the trigger pointing towards a window. You might kiss your hearing goodbye. Perhaps you are hiding in your house closet hoping the BG doesn't see you. But he does see you and you have no choice but to pull the trigger. I got news for you, the ear on the side you hold your gun will very likely lose 25% if not more of its hearing ability. That's if you shoot one time. Now imagine shooting back to back 3 or more times. You might have no hearing left in either ear if you just ruptured your eardrums.

With one ear plugged and a finger in the other ear that is a legal silencer. I was talking to a guy that worked for the VA processing claims for veterans and I asked was hearing problems a big concern with veterans. He said the number of veterans with hearing loss is very high. I don't want to lose my life or my hearing. Try this legal silencer that is as close as your fingertip yet still be able to hear conversations.

What do you think about this? Is it something that makes sense to at least consider doing? Perhaps if I carry a gun then I should also have an ear plugged. Say whaaat?

2. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Well...if you can stand having a plug in your ear all day, go for it...:D

There was a company that made an earplug that had a diaphragm in it. It would allow sound through but would reduce percussive sound waves like gunshots. It was no good for mowing lawn, or continuous loud sounds like large machinery. I think the NRR was only about 9 or 10. But, the impact of a sharp, quick sound was reduced. I've wondered if that concept could be viable.

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I just bought ear plugs like you are talking about and they even had smaller plugs that fit into the plug body for when in loud surroundings. I couldn't get them to seal and stay in place to function very well. I found some old ear plugs in a case, I don't even know from how long ago and they performed very well and even stayed in place sealing very well.

Many people say you will not notice ear pain during a shooting but I guarantee just because you weren't aware at the time of the bang you were quickly made aware of any damage right after. The crack of the 9mm can mess up your hearing really bad. Your ears may ring for a week or you might have lost a lot of your hearing permanently.

4. spikedriver

Buster I think you should come up with a plug that actually lets all the sound through but just looks like a plug. I'd buy that in a heartbeat, then certain people (like, say, an ex wife, perhaps?) would see that I had plugs in, then assume I couldn't hear, and wouldn't bother trying to talk to me...

Hmmm, this idea may have merit...

5. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Buster, I like you 'One plug out, one plug in' solution. I have some Walker electronic earplugs (they look like all-in-the-ear hearing aids) that I can test. Not real comfortable to wear longer than a couple hours, but that may be long enough in some cases.

Hmm. A hearing aid in the left ear, a Walker in the right ear... I hope they don't set up an interference pattern that fries my brain.

6. spikedriver

^^^ Too late, VT!

Yyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnnnkkkkkk!!!!!!!!

7. conservative

conservative New Member

I found it agAin.! Was on this thread and bumped a button and skip... it's gone.... but anyway.... listened to book about the science of warfare and in the book they told bout t-cups. I don't know if their plugs or muffs , but they made. Noises above a certain decibel quieter and amplified noises that were farther away and muted. Don't know if this would work for your purpose though. They were made to combat hearing loss in the military.