Torque wrench best for PC carbine use?

Discussion in 'Ruger Firearms Accessories' started by ron4735, May 17, 2020.

1. ron4735

ron4735 New Member

Have a new and unfired Ruger PC carbine to which I'm adding an additional third party extended mag release and charging handle on left side.(Comes from factory with each of these on right side which will remain.) I want to start out by doing things correctly so feel a quality 1/4" Drive torque wrench (or screwdriver?) would be a good purchase. Ruger specs require for screws on the carbine to use bits of 5/32nd" and 5/64th" with 15 INCH pounds and 65 inch pounds of torque required. A local gunsmith said don't get a "digital" one because mechanical ones are more accurate and durable long term. Anyone using a torque wrench on your Ruger weapons? Any advice on name brands, quality and online sources would be helpful. Thanks in advance to all who reply! Note to all military VETs: MAY is National Military Appreciation Month...yes really. Google it. Perfect time to remind vendors(many unaware of NMAM) and politely ask for a VET discount. All they can say is no. Stay safe all!

2. CMB

CMB New Member

I've had a "Fat Wrench" by Wheeler for a while. Simple and comes with enough bits to do most anything required. Shop around for best price, mine came in at under $ 40.00 shipped from Optics Planet (sale price)

3. jmohme

jmohme Well-Known Member

Digital torque wrenches are just fine, but like any type, they need to be checked for accuracy occasionally.
    The only torque wrenches types I avoid are the cheap beam type.
    I do have one beam that does inch ounces. I only have it because of the novelty of it.
    I was told it was used for calibration of some sort of aircraft gauge.
    IMG_1234.JPG

SGW Gunsmith likes this.
  4. SGW Gunsmith

SGW Gunsmith Active Member

I do have an inch-pound torque wrench, but it's only used under certain conditions and when I use torx screws:

[​IMG]

Small, slotted and socket head base and scope ring screws are easily distorted and weakened when using some of the suggestions that have been published for smaller screws like the #6-40 and #6-48 gun screws.
    My wrench came with a calibration certificate, so if/when treated properly, it will outlast me.

5. jmohme

jmohme Well-Known Member

When my torque wrenches saw regular use in my job, I would send them in yearly for testing and calibration. They almost always needed some correction.

Most of mine were dial type like the one in your picture. I did have one click type, but only because pulling 300 to 600 ft/lbs while on my back on a creeper and trying to watch a dial. was a little problematic.

SGW Gunsmith likes this.
  6. SGW Gunsmith

SGW Gunsmith Active Member

If it were used much more than it is, I would send it to a calibration lab more often. I have a test screw with known torque value that I compare this to, if I think anything has been changed, and if it varies a lot from what is on my original cal cert, then it goes in for certification.
    Just using this wrench on the size screws that I do, it's by no means taxing anything involved with the wrench.

jmohme likes this.