Torque settings

Discussion in 'Ruger 10/22' started by nick7274, Jan 4, 2017.

1. nick7274

nick7274 New Member

Was just wondering if anyone knows the correct torque setting for the takedown screw on a Ruger 10/22 VLEH Hogue over molded stock and bull barrel. Neither Ruger or Hogue have this listed, and in doing research I've come up with answers from 15 in/lbs all the way up to 35. Was hoping somebody could give me a correct answer rather than a guess. I am aware that the torque does vary from one gun to the next, so I am just look for a starting point so as not to over tighten the screw. I take my guns apart a lot for upgrades/cleaning so it is important to have a consistent setting when reassembling. Thank you

2. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

I honestly don't have a clue. You might try calling Ruger, although they might not be of much help because of the hogue stock. Still, it's worth a shot......

3. nick7274

nick7274 New Member

I did try to contact Ruger and Hogue. Couldn't even seem to get a ballpark answer from either of them. Kind of strange considering this is the stock that the VLEH comes with from the factory.....

4. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture New Member

If it is a 1/4-20 thread, then 10-ft/lbs.

5. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

That translates into 120 in lb's. That sounds VERY high if bolting into polymer.

Two things to consider when it comes to bolt torque values:
    Bolt size/thread pitch.
    Material of the bolt, bolt hole boss and the work piece.

I could make a good guess but...
    Maybe someone over at rimfirecentral has a specific answer to this question.

6. nick7274

nick7274 New Member

Thanks guys. I have a good idea of where it should be. I just figured that some of you probably experimented with this setting and could tell me what they were using. I've been doing 18in/lbs and that seems to be working.