Took the 1911 CMD Out...

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by DennisB, Sep 30, 2013.

1. DennisB

DennisB DennisB

...for a little 3 0n 1 last Saturday. And a few other drills. Never realized that shooting 500 plus rounds in a day can rough up your hands so much! Slap and rack. Reload. Keep moving! All without a hiccup on the part of the CMD.
    [​IMG]

2. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

Sounds great......glad you like the SR1911CMD...........they are awesome guns.....:D

3. Reagan

Reagan New Member

Nice ! Not my EDC (G27) but my favorite range gun!

Sent from my iPad using Ruger Forum

4. DennisB

DennisB DennisB

Yeah, my son was there too, he carries a 27 but decided to run the Colt that he inherited early that day--

5. samson

samson New Member

Just added the Ruger SR1911 CMD to the collection. Unfortunately it is not as accurate as my 5" SR1911. SR1911 shoots dead-on two inch patterns where it is aimed. Out of the box after 100rds of 230gr FMJ, the SR1911 CMD shoots tight patterns two inches low. I'm going to try some +P to see if the groups rise to dead center. Looks like an adjustable rear sight may be a solution.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  6. ScottyShooter

ScottyShooter New Member

A lot of us Ruger Talk guys are getting 1911's. Here's my new STI Ranger .9m Commander. Cleaned up and ready to take to range Friday.

Attached Files:

7. samson

samson New Member

New Ruger SR1911 10rd mags just arrived! I placed an order in May after buying my first SR1911 (5" barrel). Used the 20% off coupon that came with the gun and found that the 10 rd magazines were on back order. Over the Summer I enjoyed my SR1911 with the 7 & 8 rd mag that came with the gun and forgot about the 10rd order.

In September I found a Ruger SR1911 CMD at my newly opened range and bought it. I received the 20% off coupon with the CMD and ordered three 10rd mags since they were advertised as buy 3 mags and get the shipping free. When I placed the order the back order message did not appear. Yesterday the three mags I ordered in September arrived and a separate box with the 10rd mag I ordered in May also arrived with no shipping charges.

I love Ruger!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  8. samson

samson New Member

New Ruger 10rd mags for SR1911 & SR1911CMD

Ruger's 10rd mags for the Sr1911 and Sr1911CMD worked flawlessly. I noticed no difference in the feel and balance of the pistol with the 10rd mag. Ran 100rds through the SR1911CMD using a gun rest to see if problem with gun shooting 2" low was the gun or my grip and trigger pull. It was not the gun! Loosened right hand fingers and 2" drop disappeared. Hopefully practice will make perfect.

9. toma

toma New Member

Have had my SR1911 CMD for about 2 months now around 300 rounds thru it. It runs perfect , now If it would only hit where I think I'm aiming LOL
    I know it's me Picked up a bad habit of pushing the gun out as I fire. I am a lefty and my right hand is acting as a pivot forcing the rounds to the right and low as I fire

10. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I was reading where if a shooter leaves the little finger off the grip then shooter could have less low shots. The thinking is that if a shooter has tendency to squeeze the grip then without the little finger there will be less pulling the grip back. I tried it and it does make a difference for me. I actually hold both little fingers across each other facing forward.
    I agree 500 rounds of .45 could cause the hands some discomfort. I notice more of a push back than a flip with my Kimber 1911 Ultra Carry II.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  11. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Samson,
    My 2 1911's do the same thing. The CMD tends to shoot a little low. I just learned to adjust my aiming point-instead of dead on, I went to a 12 o'clock hold. My full size shoots dead on. In my mind, the full size is a little better balanced than the Commander. You may also check the ammo you are using as some ammo doesn't shoot the same. I shot some Remington 230gr hard ball vs American Eagle and was extremely disappointed in the Eagle. Before you change out your sights, try some different ammo. I also have to agree with Buster. You should not use your pinky finger for support. Hold the pistol with your upper fingers and loosen way up on the pinky. It will draw your Commander down and will end up shooting at 7 o'clock.
    Tommy

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  12. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Samson,
    One more thing I wanted to add without berating you in anyway is my Commander has the same characteristics as yours. Last Sunday, my usual shooting day, I was shooting my Commander at 50 feet. I shoot using my front sight only. If my front sight is a hair higher than my rear sights I can usually stay in the 10 ring. Now my 10 ring measures 4 inches in diameter. I am not the best shot in the world by any means, but I managed to keep my rounds within a 2 1/4-2 1/2 group. If I shoot shorter ranges (30 feet) my Commander will be right at 2 inches low. I sent my pistol back to Ruger and they replaced the extractor and had them do a range test. The target that came back was marked at 15 yds. and 5 rounds of Cor-bon 230 gr. hardball measured 1 1/4 inch group. I have only used Remington and American Eagle and stated that Amer. Eagle is a crappy round. I have never tried to Cor-bon. 95% of the time I shoot my own reloads using W231 or Bullseye and I don't use light loads. Recoil is about the same as the Remingtons. I can't tell you what the drop is from 25 feet to 50 feet if there is one, nor do I know how much lift there is as I only get to shoot indoor range. I am thinking of changing my front sight to a Triticon (sp) or something similar as the lighting at our range is poor. If you make any changes, would you please let me know and give me the results. I want my shots to be POA if possible as I carry my Commander as my CCW. I would truly appreciate any feedback when you make changes. Thanks so much!!
    Tommy

13. brushunter

brushunter New Member

Tommycourt , I have two 1911s a Springer Range Officer and the Ruger 1911 Commander. Both shoot to the same POA with my handloads. I'm talking 15 yds. I'm using two loads : 200gr cast SWC from Oregon Trail and 185gr Nosler HP. Don't have my data in front of me , but thinking the 200gr is near 900 fps , the 185s are just over 1000 fps. Believe its Unique under the 200s and Bullseye under the 185s. Both are very accurate loads in my guns. If ya want I can get you the data. ( not at home now ) jI also carry the commander as my CCW , with the 185s its more than up to any task.

regards , Brushunter

14. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Brushunter and Tommy, I have a Kimber Ultra Carry II which is a compact short barrel .45. I was told the compact 1911 .45 guns will have problems with the lower grain bullets but I also read where Wilson Combat says it is better to use the lower grain bullets. I have not tried the lower grains basically because I never see any on the shelves around here. You or Tommy have any input for me about this?