Tomorrow is range day

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by Tommycourt, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Tomorrow is my regular range day. I have been working all week re-sizing .45 caliber casings. Found a couple of more small primer Federal's however I did not notice until I got to the priming stage. Very foolish not to have noted when I de-primed them. Going to try 2 different powders: 1 is some Bullseye I have loaded and another 50 rounds of Titegroup. I have noticed that the Titegroup has a little less recoil than the Bullseye. I haven't been dry firing this week as the heat has been up and I have been feeling down, so I guess I will find out how I do. Anyway, maybe if I had some good reports I will let you know. BTW are temps are up again 103 today and tomorrow a little higher so the range will be warm. But look for my report tomorrow and if you don't see one, well, you know how that one went:hammer:
    Tommy

2. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I know a guy that uses Bullseye in his .45 ACP. He says he likes it cause it's economical. Don't know what his load amount is though.

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Bullseye works very well in paper-punching loads for .38 Special, so it ought to do the same for .45 auto, as long as it will rack the slide. Just about the same double charge hazard too, must be; the light needs to be right to see the powder in the case. I like Vihtavuori 3N37, but it requires the same caution.

4. thumbuster

thumbuster New Member

For a long time Bullsey paired with Hensley & Gibbs bullets was the go-to load combo for bullsey competitors. Fast burning powders pushing 200gr bullets around 750fps have given me great accuracy and reliable function in 45cap pistols.

5. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Hah; that class of loadings would have given me a chance to play with recoil springs in my 1911. (Still have the springs, don't have the gun.)

6. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Well range day went pretty good today. Both powders shot well and @35 feet I was holding a 3" spread with my LW Commander. Now on my 6" Commander, I had some problems as it does not have a trigger job done to it yet. I was shooting at the 7 o'clock area. I checked the trigger pull and it is @5 1/2 lbs. It's amazing the difference in the amount of pressure it takes make the pistol fire. You wouldn't think a 1 1/2lbs would make a difference, however it does. Regardless, it can outshoot me anytime. But I am really pleased with the LW and how it shoots. I believe that (especially for me and these old eyes) that a 3" group is not that bad. I am sure that there are a lot of better shooters than I am and more power to them. The one thing I do know, it will hit the target if I needed in an S/D situation.

Tommy

7. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Bob,
    You are right about the loads in the .45 and .38. You really have to be careful when loading powder. I use the old Handy Dandy RCBS rotors and lay 50 rounds out on my wooden loading board. Then I start on the left front and run backwards for the first 5 and then come back to the front. It doesn't take much powder so my overhead light is on and I also keep a flashlight just in case. I don't talk to ANYBODY when I am pouring powder. I learned on my brother's buddys Dillon 650. You have to hand index the round to the next stage. We were talking and I double charged a round. Thankfully I caught it right away and after that, I learned my lesson.

Tommy

8. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I am guessing if you do a trigger job with that 6" you might find you shoot it best.

9. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Buster,

When I can finally raise enough money, that is exactly what I am going to do. Presently though, I am in a financial crunch so I have to guard my progress on what I am doing. BUT I do agree with you. I truly believe it will help me on my accuracy. Thank you!!!

Tommy