Tomorrow is range day

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by Tommycourt, May 31, 2015.

1. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Tomorrow is my range day so am taking my SR1911's and see how I do. I have been dry firing quite a bit using the old military weaver stance with one hand. My garage is only 17 feet long so I taped an NRA target up on the door and been practicing my grip, stance and hold. It will be a slow fire exercise. Normally I do the 2 hand semi weaver stance but I want to try something different. I don't know how I will do, might go to heck in a hand basket, but won't know til I try. Will keep you posted (or not if it's that bad)
    Tommy:duck:

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

However you do, you won't get down on yourself, Tommy. Us geezers have to make do with whatever we have left.

I've been shooting 'both ways' lately, isosceles 2-handed and with one hand from several 'might-have-to' positions. Depending on the state of my nerves, there isn't much difference in accuracy. What is obvious is that the muzzle flip is greater one handed, so it takes longer to get back on target.

3. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Well today was not one of my stellar days. I could NOT hold my dominant hand steady for some reason. I started at 15 feet cuz that't the length of my garage. While dry firing, my hands have been steady as a rock. I did practice my hold and grip and stance this morning for about an hour before I went to the range. At the range my single hand shooting, I could feel my shoulder and arms quiver. Possibly I tired out those muscles before I went to the range. I then put up the silhouette target and @ 30-40 I was hitting the 10 target. The 10 target measures 3x4" but I was using both hands. I had 3 flyers at 40 feet. I watched the video that someone posted on the Army SGT where he said that he dry fires a hundred rounds for every live round he shoots. I tried doing a 1 handed dry fire and my shoulder still shook. I guess it was one of those days so I need to practice more on my dry firing at home. Reason I want to shoot 1 handed accurately, if I were injured or hit in either side of my body, I want the ability to protect myself somewhat. I guess not every day can have a shining star so it's back to practice, practice, and more practice. It's the ****z when you try that hard and things don't work out. But age and eyesight also play a big part in it. NOT AN EXCUSE!!! Don't worry Bob, I will keep on doing what it takes to become a little more proficient.
    Tommy

4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I have had days like that and couldn't for the life of me figure out why. My hand would shake bad as soon as I raised up on target. My hands don't shake so I just couldn't explain it. I just quit shooting the couple times that happened.

5. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Buster,
    I ain't as smart as you are. I just keep on thinking that things will get better as I shoot more. It don't happen! I just keep getting dumber and dumber. OH, and one other thing, you have yanked my chain so often that my anchor went over the side of the boat (you said that on another thread). NOW I HAVE to figure on how to get the other end of that chain off of my ankle!!!:cheesy:
    Tommy

6. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Well if you go overboard then open your eyes and look for any guns that everybody says they lost on their last fishing trip.