TODAYS Range trip

Discussion in 'Range Reports' started by phideaux, Oct 23, 2016.

1. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

The official shooting range was closed today so I took off to the woods. Brought the newly built AR-15 pistol, Ruger service six, and the AR rifle.

ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1504242226.917444.jpg

The pistol runs well on brass, but unfortunately doesn't like the cheap steel case Tula ammo my rifle loves. I have a red dot mounted and sighted it in.

ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1504242209.063176.jpg

The AR rifle was accurate and reliable as ever. Still haven't had a malfunction with this rifle and I've been shooting it since I built it in February.

ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1504242343.683657.jpg

The Ruger service six is quickly becoming one of my favorite handguns the more I shoot it. It feels really good in my hand with the factory target grips. I ran some of my cast 125 gr .357 reloads through it at 15 yds.

ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1504242602.585021.jpg

Another good day of shooting!

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Good to see some targets. 15 yards with the six looks really good. I wish I could shoot that well.

3. buster40c

4. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Savage,

Good shooting with your pistol. I wish I could shoot that well consistantly however it has been 3 weeks since I have been to the range. At my age, it's easy to loose muscle control so I have to shoot constantly to maintain it. I would be proud of the target!!!
    Congrats on good shooting!!!

Tommy

5. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

Fine shooting, good day;)

6. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

7. buster40c

Today I received my rail mount for my Marlin 60 so I had to see how well it works for mounting a scope. In my case it is a red/green dot sight. The rain fits really loose on the gun and I thought this isn't looking to great. I did get it tightened down on the gun and mounted the scope. It seemed fairly solid mounted.

So I set a table up at 40 yards out from my sand trap target. I had shot and was off 6" right and high. I adjusted and shot and adjusted and shot. About the time I was getting right on the dang scope falls off. D double a m it. Of course when I got the rail mounted again it was off farther now so had to start adjusting all over. I tighten the h e double hockey sticks out of the rail mount screws hoping it would stay on this time.
    I got it pretty close to zeroed in and the sight didn't fall off again even after over a couple hundred shots. Then I got out my S&W M&P 15-22 that I hadn't shot in over a year. Turned the scope on green dot and began shooting. I was surprised the battery was still good. I was also amazed it was fairly well on target. I really like the dot sight over the iron sights because I can get right on target a lot faster. Dot Bang Dot Bang. The dot actually sits right on top of my front iron sight blade. The sight sits high enough I can use irons or the dot sight.
    The neighbor came over and between the two of us we shot up a 500 brick in no time. He wants a S&W 15-22 and I found one online for $329 and no shipping cost.
    Tomorrow my step daughter and husband will be visiting and they both are heavy into guns and both carry also. So I am pretty sure we will be shooting some tomorrow also.

8. Oldhand

Buster40C, use blue loctite the night before you shoot. Takes 8 hours to set up before shooting.;)

9. buster40c

Today my daughter and husband came and we did some shooting She carries a Ruger LCP 380 and she actually was quite accurate with it I let her shoot my LC9s and I was surprised it had way more recoil and flip than her LCP She couldn't hardly handle the lc9 and she didn't like it. I was expecting it to have less kick than her LCP 380.
    She liked shooting the S&W 627-5 shooting 38 spl wad cutters. She actually was a pretty good shot from 10 yards with her little LCP. We had a good time shooting and enjoyed the visit.

10. buster40c

After seeing my daughter shooting the lc9s and it flipping up so much on her I decided to get it out and see how the recoil handling was for me.
    I have to say I didn't think she had a very good two handed grip on it when she shot it. I didn't notice the recoil being so overly stout but the trigger sure is something else. The trigger is really light and totally smooth so that I can't really tell when it is going to break over and fire. I am glad mine has the safety on the side as well as the trigger safety. I don't know what the trigger weight is but it sure seems very light.
    I can keep my shots on paper but you sure wouldn't want to sit an apple on your head for me to shoot. LOL Not like you would anyway but..............I probably would miss the apple.

11. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

^^^ Hey Buster, does your safety disengage extremely easily? Mine slips off with very little pressure. I actually wish it had a little more tension. I've taken it out of my pocket a couple times and found the safety was off. Not sure if it disengaged in the pocket or in the process of pulling it out...

12. buster40c

It's far from able to fall down out of safety but it doesn't take a lot of a push out of safety. It takes more effort pushing it up into safety than pushing down out off safety. I don't see it brushing up against anything in my pocket would knock it out of safety though. I sat here rubbing my thumb down with some pressure over the safety and it never moved off safety.
    I watched a hickok45 video on the LC9s and he really liked the trigger action. I have to say it has probably the smoothest/shortest trigger action of any semi auto I ever used. I still think the trigger lever safety is about a joke for a safety. But that is just my .02.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  13. Oldhand

My LC9 has a smooth but long trigger, that said very accurate. I would be glad to shoot an apple off your head at 10 yards.:D

14. buster40c

Darm I am fresh out of apples. Yes the trigger action is much shorter on the LC9s than the LC9. The LC9s breaks about a little over half way whereas the LC9 breaks almost all the way back. I saw that on Hickok45 video comparing the two.

15. spikedriver

I had the LC9 but as soon as I tried the trigger on the 9s I traded. There is no comparison. My LC9 was quite accurate but my 9s is fast and accurate. And it's just plain easier to shoot well.

16. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Spike,

If you are going to shoot apples off of Buster's head, give me your address and I will send you a bushel basket of them. One thing about it, if you shoot low, you can't hurt him as hard headed as he is..........:cheesy:. Just don't hit his ears cuz then he will complain both to you and me his hearing will be impaired!!!!
    Yank..............................Yank........................Yank!!!!!!!!!

Tommy

17. spikedriver

Buster said I could try, Tommy. But I'm afraid if my aim is off he might shoot back!!!

18. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

:cryinglaugh::cryinglaugh:^^^^^^^^^^^

Tommy

19. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

May I suggest using a blindfold ?

While your shooting.:duck:

Jim

20. buster40c

OHHHH You are all so funny. You might as well use a blindfold because the way you shoot there probably wouldn't be a difference.