TODAYS Range trip

Discussion in 'Range Reports' started by phideaux, Oct 23, 2016.

1. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Ok, I did not make it to the range today,

But,

I do enjoy reading and learning from what others have to share about their trip to the range today,

What gun did you shoot?
    What scope or sights?
    Weather conditions ?
    What ammo?
    What targets ?
    What distance ?
    What was the handload?

When I get a chance to go out and shoot , I will provide as much info as I can.

Now .....lets hear what you guys/gals were shooting today.:cool:

Jim

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I will be watching what action this gets because it will make for some interesting reading.
    I am always interested in reading first hand range or even plinking reports telling about all the things Jim listed. I see this could be possibly a great shooting guide for problems some have at the range or with their guns.
    If you couldn't hit the side of the barn while out shooting then let us know and maybe we all can find why some days or with some guns that's what we experience. I have had expensive guns that I found I couldn't hit the side of a barn with even with adjusting the sights.
    I would like to see pics of shot targets and using what gun, ammo, and if it was free hand or bagged/supported shooting.
    I will be hoping to see this sub forum thread getting a lot of input. Same as I hope with hunting season upon us that the hunting experiences sub forum will get a lot of input also.

3. buster40c

Today I was shooting two guns. My Taurus PT92 that I had trouble yesterday with the slide not moving to eject the shells and feed the next round. I had recently spray painted this gun with durablue. I cleaned the rails where metal contacts metal and lubed the gun last night. Today the gun performs perfectly. The sights are no adjustable but give a good sight picture and the gun is as accurate as I can be. An inexpensive 9mm semi auto that performs exceptionally well. This gun is a clone of the Beretta 92 but at about half the cost. The barrel is 5" and the slide has a somewhat heavy pull but is smooth movement. Very easy to strip and clean this gun.
    I also shot my Sig P226 which is 9mm, fixed sights, da/sa that is very smooth and very light action in SA. I can see why some of the military still use this gun. It is an awesome and dependable semi auto. It also is very easy to do a field strip and clean.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  4. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Well if you really must know, today was not a good day. I couldn't hit the side of a silo if I were inside of it. I took 2 SR1911's with me. One was my LW and the other was my Commander. I could not keep it inside of the circle with the Commander. I kept shooting at 7 o'clock in the 7-8 ring. After about 30 rounds I switched over to my LW and consistantly stayed inside of the bullseye which is about 3". My regular Commander has less than 500 rounds through it and nothing done to it while my LW has had a trigger job to 4lbs. After I put a thousand rounds through it I am going to have a trigger job done on it. I was shooting reloads, .45 cal. 4.5 grns of Bullseye, COAL of 1.255. My first 50 rounds were W231 but it wasn't the load that was bad, it was me. Distance was 25 feet. I shot 100 rounds altogether and the last 10 rounds I saved for the Commander and it went right out of the bullseye ring again. I am so used to shooting my Light Weight that I have lost touch with a stock Commander. All of my shots are double tap. This coming week I am going to the "Ray Charles" school of aiming and shooting. I hope the fees aren't too much or maybe he will take an I.O.U.

Tommy

5. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Taurus acted proud of the PT92, back when they took pride in such things.

I hope to get to the range tomorrow. A couple guns I need to shoot some. Will heed Jim's request - if hope becomes reality.

6. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

Went out with my 4 inch Security Six and my 7 1/2 inch three screw 45 Colt Blackhawk. As usual kept the distance to 10 yards for both guns, (I know, the 7 1/2 is almost touching :D). 158 grain LSWC 38 Special over 3.6 grains of VV320, all shots in 9 & 10 ring. 255 grain LSWC 45 Colt over 5.9 grains of VV320, 44of 50 rounds staid in the 9 & 10 ring. Six shots drifted into the 8 ring, (must be because I just turned 67).:D

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  7. buster40c

^^ I like that....7.5" almost touching the target. Sounds like you were shooting a lot better than I did but then again I only had a 5" barrel.lol

8. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

AK 47 and trying out some 75 rd. drum magazines!

9. phideaux

I really like pics.....

and I aint seeing any.

:);)
    Jim

Carl Crosby likes this.
  10. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

^^^ C'mon, Jim...everyone is posting how bad their shooting was. Nobody wants to post the proof!;)

11. phideaux

I want to see those barns and silo's that cant be hit..:D:D:eek:

Jim

12. buster40c

I only post the ones I shoot first then draw the circles around afterwards.
    I constantly am amazed how the bulls eye jumps high and left after I shoot. If it would stay put I would be busting out a perfect 6" circle.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  13. Oldhand

Ok here are pics

Attached Files:

14. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Handy,

I think your silo is much smaller than mine. If my target looked that good Sunday, I would have saved it!!!

Tommy

15. Oldhand

Thanks Tommy, I just wish I could shoot as well as before the bifocals.:D

16. buster40c

Now that's how mine look after drawing the circle around them.

17. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Last year when shooting my Blackhawk off the bench at 50 yd, once and only once I put all six shots in the 2.5" dot I use as an aiming point.

Now that would be a target to take home, put on the wall of my reloading room and be proud of!

Only thing.... they had just put up new white backstops we hang our targets on. So instead of wasting paper I had drawn the dot on the new backstop.... D'oh!

Those six holes ... In The Dot ... were the ONLY bullet holes in the whole thing.
    Probably should've taken a picture cause that's the one and only time I've been able to do that.

Considering my eyesight and ability I know it was mostly just a fluke but still.........

18. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Jerry,

You are a distinguished flamboyant citizen who carries himself like a statesman that is pursuing a political career which will end up in lying and corruption. Did I cover all the bases?? Don't ask if you don't want to know the answer!:rayoff:

Tommy

19. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Tommy,

I'll have to think about that one and get back to you. (I may ask)?

Oh and, How did you know my name is Jerry anyway? Have you been intercepting my mail again?
    Well the cat is out of the bag now.
    I guess I'll start signing my posts now that you told THE WHOLE DANG WORLD my 'real' name. :eek:

Mag, ahh, I mean Jerry

20. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Tommy,

OK, I've thought about it.....No, you may have missed a few things so I'm asking but first I should say:

When I was a youngster I was just a tiny bit ROWDY. Not the gentle, easy going guy I am now.
    I was really very easy to get along with all the way up UNTIL.....

One time I cleaned out the local saloon.

The floor walker / manager didn't like me being friends with 'His Woman' so the coward sicced the bouncer on me after my drink "slipped" out of my hand and onto his feet while he was mouthing off at me. :cheesy:
    I was very single back then and she was very pretty and happy to see me so, well you know. ;)

I made it out the door.
    The bouncer'd seen me around. He had no desire to fight the cowards battle for him so they 'let me go'. Ha!
    But the entire bar came outside to watch. And that's how I cleaned out the joint.

Then...
    There was the time a big guy was picking on a little guy. (Little guy was my size but didn't know how to fight).
    I hate bullies!
    The police decided big guys shouldn't pick on little guys and that was that.

Also, I've kissed a girl or two in my time so all things considered I'm unelectable and therefore .............. un-corrupable.

Jerry