Today was my lucky day!

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by Tommycourt, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I went to the range as usual today and fired 50 rounds with my Ruger SR1911 Commander. It was hot as Hades as usual and the sweat was pouring out of me, but that's Az for ya. I was shooting @30 feet. I shot 20 rounds, then 15 and then the last 15. The last 15 was right on target. Out of the 15 rounds I fired, 8 of them you can cover with a silver dollar. The farthest one away was 1 1/2" from the center and the others are within 1/2-3/4" from the center. I was done. Out of ammo but feeling real good! It was really fun today. Now I am not bragging by any means but it was one of those days that just went right for a change!!! I wish I could shoot like that all the time but I know it will never happen (I can wish for it- kind of like hold out both hands and see which one fills first). Everything just fell right, timing, grip, I was relaxed and just decided to enjoy myself before I went. Any way, that's my range report. Wish I could say this more often but don't hold your breath cuz I sure ain't.
    Tommy:D

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2015
  2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Yep you had a great day when you can have that close of a pattern. Who knows next time out you might do it again. I can't imagine an indoor range without a/c in AZ.
    What is all the sweating about? I keep hearing AZ heat is dry so it is no big deal being hot. I guess in AZ you don't hear "don't sweat it". HA! I sure don't hear it here.
    Anyway glad you had a smile on your face at the range today. I am so used to shooting so-so that if I have a day like you had I would be smiling for sure like you were.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015

3. guncheese

guncheese New Member

ohh it happens Tommy
    and the more you shoot
    the more often it happens
    and then you find it happens easier!! :D

ive sure not had any good days lately ugggg:confused:

4. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Guncheese,

I hope you are right but I know that today was more of a fluke than anything. I have been practicing every Sunday for the last 8-10 months and working on my stance, grip, breathing and everything I can think of. Today they just all came together. I won't be disappointed if it doesn't happen again. So for today, I just want to feel good and savor the moment. Thanks so much for the encouragement and maybe one day again I can relive it. But until then, I won't be holding my breath or taking a nap. First of all I will forget what I done and then turn blue from holding my breath!!!:cheesy:

Tommy

5. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Tommy, I'm not going to sign off on 'fluke', but here's one...

Last spring I took my S&W Model 10 (3" barrel) to the range, mostly to see if it still functioned. Hadn't fired it in several years. Emptied a cylinder-full at an 8" paper plate at 25 yards and put 5 rounds into the paper. That was a fluke.

:D

6. berettabone

berettabone In the army now..

If you ever have to use it for defense purposes, you won't remember any of it!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Now as far as I am concerned that is DARN GOOD SHOOTING!. I don't know if I could visually make out an 8" plate at 25 yards. Especially with a short barrel. I would be tickled to death to be able to do that, however it's bad enough to go to our inside range this time of the year let alone go outside and shoot. At least we do have shade inside. Outside we do have a lot of cactus which don't give much shade, but you can tell when you stand too close!!!
    Tommy

8. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

It isn't the brain that has to remember, it's those other muscles. ;)

9. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Buster,
    Out here we don't ever say :Don't sweat it!" cuz that ain't gonna happen. They had a report on TV today rating the worse heat areas to live in and guess what? Phoenix was #1. They say that our AVERAGE is 168 days with temps over 90 degrees. Truthfully 90 would feel good right now. We just broke another record for the number of days that we were over 110 degrees. Everyone says "it's a dry heat". I tell them so is your oven. Set the temp on your oven at 110 degrees and stick your head inside and feel the dry heat. They just look at you in kind of a funny way and walk away mumbling. They might have thought I had lost my mind or maybe, just maybe, "the heat got to that guy!" :cheesy:

Tommy

10. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

It's that "Valley of the Sun" thing, Tommy. Sounds good in Minnesota in February...

11. guncheese

guncheese New Member

now really
    if you give a modest effort
    the more you shoot'
    the easier it gets
    so dont sell your self short
    watch the past to see where you are now
    and youll find the more you TRY the better you do (remember that time you really tried hard and it seemed to help!) do that every shot
    its a Big ole sack of work!
    but it can be done
    practice bad and you shoot bad
    practice on top of your success and you will succeed

ive run across lots of folks that get wound up into the blazing thing
    and right now i have a pretty good range pal that gets lost into the "bang bang bang" thing
    and he forgets what he is up to
    so i have to snap him out of it and give him a fresh direction
    so do that for your self.
    honest man it takes thousands of rounds to become even close to good
    and use every round as a teacher
    "what did i do""what did i do different""what should i have done"
    and with enough powder burned (that amount is different for everybody and in my case it was kegs of powder, and im still no good)
    youll be where you want to be!!!

i need to practice what i preach more often!!!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  12. guncheese

guncheese New Member

well its
    Overcast
    57°F
    14°C
    Humidity 69%
    Wind Speed NW 12 G 17 mph
    Barometer 29.99 in (1015.7 mb)
    Dewpoint 47°F (8°C)
    Visibility 10.00 mi