Today at the Range

Discussion in 'Range Reports' started by Oldhand, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

Took the Rock to the range today, this pic is last 100 rounds at 10 yards standing two hand hold. This brings the count to 500 rounds threw the Rock, she is coming along nicely.:cool:

Attached Files:

2. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Handy,

It looks like to starting to get her dialed in. Good for you! Glad you got to the range. I have been so busy here lately that I haven't had time to spit. How does the trigger feel on that gun now? It is starting to loosen up a bit?

Tommy

3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Nice shootin' Rawhide Kid...!!

4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Just goes to show you don't need a thousand dollar gun to effectively get the job done.

5. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Looks like you have a keeper!

6. Oldhand

This Rock is definitely a keeper, the weight makes it a pleasure to shoot. The weight makes it unlikely to be a carry piece. You have a full size 1911 with a smaller hole in the barrel and more rounds. I have other carry guns. Picked up a Ruger SR1911 9mm to look at, it is half the weight. Tommy the trigger feels fine.

7. buster40c

Well I finally gave in and shot my Colt MK V 357 6" revolver. The gun supposedly had never been shot except at the factory testing and it looked like that might have been true. I thought about not shooting it and keeping it LNIB condition and I have owned it for a year or so now. The last few days I kept eyeing my bullet trap and thinking I should do some shooting but wasn't sure what I wanted to shoot. Well I said the heck with it and loaded up the MK V with 38 spl reloads that just were wanting to be shot.
    I shot the gun about 120 rounds in DA & SA combined. When I held the gun steady I hit where I was aiming. Sad to say I have a hard time holding any gun steady. In other words my shooting is no where near good enough for competition shooting. I was able to put a few in the center rings but more were outside for sure. How I can be so far off one shot to the next is pitiful. Anyway I broke in the gun today and I can't claim it hasn't been shot now. The gun has good balance and the trigger action is smooth and not heavy. I would like to see what a good marksman could do with it. No doubt he would make my shooting look really sad.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  8. buster40c

Just had to do some more shooting. Ruger MK IV Target 22lr shooting lead nose Federal 40gr 1200fps. This was around 300 rounds shot free hand from 10 yards. If it had been a BG he would have had a really bad day at least.

Attached Files:

9. Oldhand

Both those targets are sure enough dead, those guns will kill.:D

10. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Buster,

I know what you are saying. One day you are on and the next day you aren't. I think age has something to do with that plus sometimes my hands get so shakey I can't hold the pistol still enough to stay on target. But, as they say, if there was a BG, he would have went down. Don't get down on yourself. Tomorrow may be a better day. Any day shooting is great!!!

Tommy

11. buster40c

It isn't so much that my hands shake but rather I have trouble holding my aim and pulling/squeezing the trigger. I think it is more my keeping my focus without my attention/concentration drifting around before it fires off. I have read where sometimes people will raise their head just as they pull the trigger. Like they want to see where the bullet is going to hit before they even finished following through with the trigger. I get pretty much the same accuracy from 5 yards as 10 yards. It's not the gun accuracy being the problem. I have a problem concentrating while giving the finger. Move your line of eyesight and they say the gun will follow. Point and shoot supposedly is based on hand to eye coordination.

I do have to say the black front sight on my MK IV is often hard to see and focus on. I painted the front sight ramp a florescent bright pink and maybe that will help me see and aim better. LOL I am okay with the hot pink.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  12. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Somewhere I have absorbed the notion that 'point & shoot' relies on a consistent hold of forearm, wrist and grip, which negates the importance of the rear sight out to 10 yards or so, and either sight out to around 7 yards. It must require considerable practice to get that consistency, and regular reinforcement to maintain it.

13. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Had a blast on Range Day Thursday...

Tough part was cleaning 'em this morning...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  14. Oldhand

Careful cleaning that bayonet, looks sharp.;)