Today at the range

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by Tommycourt, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Sunday is my typical day to go to our indoor range. I took my full size 1911 Ruger, a Colt Combat Commander (9mm) and my gen 3 19 Glock. I was shooting at a 30 feet range using a modified Weaver stance. Our targets have the 10 ring which measures 3 inches in diameter. Using Berry 230 gr. round nose, 5.4 grn. of W231 I managed to keep the 1911 in the 10 ring for 50 rounds. I would load up 5 to a mag and then shoot. My Commander did the same thing. My Glock spread ran about 5'' to the left. I had a couple of flyers outside in the 9 ring at 9 o'clock. For ME, keeping the Ruger in the 10 ring is good considering my shaky hands and my old age. I also shot some .45 cal Berry bullets using 5.0 W231 and was pleasantly surprised at their accuracy. During the 50 rounds I shot, I mixed the 5.4 and the 5.0 and accuracy was the same. Recoil with the 5.4 was just a hair snappier. I can actually say, I am somewhat disgusted with the Glock. I just can't acquire the accuracy that I can get with my 1911's. My Commander was built in 1975 and has the steel slide and frame. I have replaced the barrel and bushing over the last year so basically, to me it is a new pistol. Only problem with the Commander, it has the old military sights and lighting beyond 30 feet at our range is not good. If you haven't tried a 1911 Ruger yet, and are interested in one, make sure and try it out!! Where ever you put the sights, that's where the bullet will strike. Sorry I don't have a camera so I can post the target, however it is hanging in my gun shop. I know some may say "Tommy is full of SHEETZ", but I promise, I am not lying!!! Keeping all 50 rounds in a 3" circle target is good for me and I am sure that there are plenty of guys and gals who can do much better. I am no way a pistolero, however it does heighten my confidence when it comes to self defense. Waiting for my Ruger Commander to come back from the factory and hope it will do the same thing. Should have it next week and I will give you a complete report on what they did and after shooting, I will advise you on how well or not well I did. Luck to all!!
    Tommy:duck:

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Nice shooting, Tommy! Interesting that the 5.4 grain and 5.0 grain loads shot to the same POI. That must be different physics from changing bullet weights. When I changed from 230 grain bullets in my 1911 to 200 grains, the POI was several inches lower. An old hand on another board told me I would have to slow the 200s down considerably to move the POI back up. Possibly to the point where I would have to swap to a weaker recoil spring.

The devil is in the details I guess.

:p

3. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

VT,
    I have learned that clad bullets fly slower than cast or lead bullets. Were one of yours that way? Now I think my coil spring in my full size is 20lbs. IF I am right, Mike @ Ruger told me that. And W231 powder is a good powder as it is more of a flake powder than Bullseye which I was using until I used it all up. The 5.0 grns. were hand weighed, each and every one of them and I tried to keep my COAL extremely close. I have shot some lead through mine and using Bullseye I had not noticed too much difference, possibly a little snappier than the plated bullets. I don't have a chrono, need to get one when I get some money, but would like to have one to really figure out what my fps is and how much of a variance the different powders have. Truthfully I had my doubts about using 5.0 grns. of W231 because of my loading charts. Some stated that was too high and to start @4.3 and others stated that they used 6.1grns. of W231, which personally I would be afraid to use that much powder. One thing though, I was only shooting at 30 feet so the accuracy could change, say @50 feet. I wish I could find an outdoor range and then pace off different distances and see how the guns, Ruger and Commander really shoot. Let me know if you come up with something. Thanks buddy!
    Tommy

4. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I haven't noticed a difference in POI between jacketed and cast bullets of the same weight at 25 yards, but it would have to be significant anyway. The holes cover most of an 8" pie plate at that range (I am not a good shot). The 200 grainers are cast (#2 alloy).

I'm pretty sure that the 'standard' 1911 recoil spring is 18 pounds, but whether or not the Ruger 1911 is that standard I dunno. Mine is a Girsan from Turkey. It cost considerably less, was my first 1911, and will probably be my last; I like the CZ75 design better.

I think you are way ahead of me in working up loads for the .45 auto. I just started on the cast bullet trail this past winter, loading 1st trials that I haven't been able to test yet except for one magazine-full of those 200 grainers - which were the wrong load for my fixed sight gun. Soon, I hope.

:p

5. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I haven't tried many lead bullets in my 1911 as when I got them, I shot most of them up right away. Most generally I buy 230grn. Berry RN for practice and range rounds. I did get a new book from my buddy back in Iowa and it is the 2014 Alliance book, however it does not show W231. Another book he sent shows the load on W231 is 5.4 grns. so go figure. They did show HP38 and it showed 5.4 grains. (W231 &HP38 are basically the same) There is a place called Wolf Springs that have different springs available for 1911's and they average about $7.50 each, so don't give up. We are both learning and 2 heads are better than 1. My problem is finding powder. I have 1 1/2 lbs. of W231 left and then I am done reloading until I find another supplier. Hang in there and we will find out the right formulas for our pistols. Let time work on OUR side!!!
    Tommy:hammer:

6. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Hah. I'm pretty sure that Time is not on my side. :)

Load listings for Alliant powders haven't been of much use to me - because their powders seem to be unfindable.

Pick up the current Lyman manual; It doesn't seem to be 'lawyerized', and there a lot of powders listed for each cartridge, including .45 auto. You can probably find at least one of them.

Remember the Carborundum motto Tommy, and 'don't let the bastards grind you down'.