To the moon!

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by conservative, Jul 17, 2017.

1. conservative

conservative New Member

Hey I have been spending all my leisure time watching and reading up on revolver related material. And in my "research" I have run across the speedloader vs moon clip conundrum. It appears that the fastest option is moonclips. So I am wondering if anyone knows whether moonclips for the ruger lcr would fit the lcrx?

2. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

LCRx has the same 5 shot cylinder, right? If so, they should work just fine.

3. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

I think so. The LCRx is the same as the LCR except with an exposed hammer right?

4. conservative

conservative New Member

Ok thanks! I kinda figured that . To custom I sending me a sample moon ring to try. But thought I would check with you all . Thanks!

5. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

As long as the loaded moon clip aligns to drop in then it is good to go. Some people load their carry gun with moon clips but their back up ammo is often in speed strips because the loaded moon clips in a pocket can get bent up. I got several moon clips that came with my S&W 627-5 but I have never used them.
    I never liked carrying speed loaders because of the bulk and I feel the same way about loaded moon clips in a pocket. Nope, I use the speed strips and they are easy enough to load the cylinder with them while being flat strips in my pocket as extra ammo ready to use.

I have read quite a few people use moon clip loading tools because loading the clips can be kind of a pain on the hands.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  6. conservative

conservative New Member

@Buster40c : thanks! I will look into it.

7. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I have a 45 acp revolver designed for moon clips. Definitely a quick way to load up, but I do not like the bulk for carry. I prefer 1/2 moon clips, or even 1/4 moon clips. In the end I purchased a bunch of Auto Rim brass. I much prefer that.