To brake or not to brake

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by benhanak, Jul 28, 2016.

1. benhanak

benhanak New Member

Got my american predator in .308, took to the range and fired about 10 rounds. Recoil was not bad at all without a brake and i sighted in at 100 yards in 5 rounds and hitting around 1". The muzzle is threaded for it and i want to try it for accuracy increase but ive read that a brake is a wussy way to go. Ive spent much time shooting a ww2 springfield in 30.06 and the recoil is pretty tough, would i be a wuss for wanting to ease up the felt recoil? Thoughts?

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

When I put a muzzle brake on any gun , its not to lessen the felt recoil, which it does, but to control the muzzle movement vertically and horizontally, if the brake is properly designed.

.308, for me, is not a harsh recoil caliber, but I do have a muzzle brake on my Savage .308 , it is a custom made sharkgill to eliminate muzzle movement, which it is designed to do, and does it very well.

Now there is a down side to the muzzle brake...all the report is redirected also, and your ears , and your friends ears will need VERY good protection.
    Concussion will be directed to the sides and rearward, which makes a .308 sound like a .50 BMG.:eek::)

Jim

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Here is a pic of the one on my Savage .308

[​IMG]

This is a custom made one that is on my wifes 12 ga VEPR, it works wonders.
    [​IMG]

Jim

4. benhanak

benhanak New Member

I got this one but think i will likely try another[​IMG]

5. benhanak

benhanak New Member

Ive added the brake, not sure i think it will be effective. [​IMG]

6. 00b5

00b5 Member

I have the Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308. In it's original form it was kicking my shoulder to leaving a bruise. On a bipod it was also jumping around with every shot, even in a gun vise. I was having a problem with my trigger finger sliding to the top of the trigger that I'm sure was adding to the trigger pull poundage. I went with a Boyds custom stock and that solved the trigger problem, but not the jumping. Ordered the Witt Machine MRE muzzle brake and solved the jumping. My best group is a 4 leaf clover, but mostly less than an inch is the norm. The recoil has been reduced to that of an M16.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  7. benhanak

benhanak New Member

Thats a nice rifle! I am going to get a stock similar to that. I hope the muzzle brake helps for me too