Time to get out of the 44 Mag business

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by MagBlackhawk, Jun 28, 2016.

1. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I love the way my Super Blackhawk JUMPS when I light off a Magnum load but with a few little this/thats going south in my arms.......
    I've worked out a trade for ALL of my .44 Mag stuff in exchange for auto repair.
    If it goes thru, I'll be without a .44 Mag soon. :violin:
    Brass, bullets, primers, dies, holster, some factory ammo, my 'special handloads', a gun rug and of course the gun.
    I posted a pic of what my bride calls my "set" of Blackhawks in the Ruger revolver pic forum.
    Soon there'll be one less in my set but it's been a while since I've owened a .357 with a 4 & 5/8" barrel so..... ;) It's all good. :D

Attached Files:

2. Bullitt69

Bullitt69 New Member

Mines a 6.5 inch .357 beautiful piece of work.

Attached Files:

3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

I hear ya Brother...sorry for your loss.

[​IMG]

4. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

I was never really enamored by the big .429 magnum. Sorry, it's not .44 cal, it's a whopping .429 caliber. ;) It just never impressed me enough to fall for it with all that Dirty Harry person stuff. That and I prefer the "different" and the .44 was just too common for my liking. besides, you'd be surprised how capable those "lesser" cartridges can really be. :)

5. SHOOTER13

Thanks for your input...

If the caliber don't begin with a 4...it ain't worth shootin' !! ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  6. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Somehow I got to shoot a Super Blackhawk .44. One round would tell me if I need to sell My Virginian Dragoon to get money for one.

7. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Man I'm lucky...:)

I am glad this one I'm shooing starts with a 4.

460 Magnum ...actually a 454 Casull on steroids.:cool: 2300 FPS.

S&W 460.jpg

S&W 460 magnum.jpg

Jim

8. SHOOTER13

^^....that's what i'm talkin' about...!! ^^

9. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Nice 4 collection you got there too.

Love a big boom.

Gosh I want a 45-70, and a 444 Marlin, in a revolver so bad..:):)

Jim

10. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Yes, It should be called the .43 Magnum.
    Sierra bullets are said to be .4295" O.D.
    Hornady, .430"

When they stretched the 38 Spl out they didn't call it a 38 Magnum. It's a .357 Magnum. Go figure.

11. Gr8_Outdoorsman

Gr8_Outdoorsman New Member

I personally love the flexibility of the 44 mags. I can load target loads that kick like a .22 lr or I can max out some 300 grain XTPs for an excellent hunting round. It's also fun to have matching .44 carbines that share the same ammo. From a hunting perspective, I'd take a 44 over a 357 any day of the week.

You may regret dumping your 44 in the future!

12. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I have the impression that Magnum feels that a magnum should be fed magnum loads. In the case of the Super Blackhawk, I find that I agree with that sentiment. On the other hand, I have concluded that I can't handle 'magnum' loads in my 4.2" Redhawk, and that's OK; I'll lighten up.

13. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

I agree, there is nothing wrong with shooting 44 Specials. Great round.:)

14. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I have had .44 magnums in the past and have really enjoyed shooting them. However that was over 25 years ago. I honestly don't know if I could adequately handle a .44 magnum anymore. Would sure like to try but to buy one to try out, I just don't have the funding. I had a Super Red Hawk, which was one of my favorites and it got stolen and replaced it with an Anaconda however the grips didn't feel right and I eventually sold it. Would love to have that Super Red Hawk back tho.

Tommy

15. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Yes, you are correct sir.
    I have a 200 gr bullet load combined with a slightly reduced load of Unique that shoots to the same point at 50 yd as my 240 gr magnums.
    It is a fun load, mild kicking, very accurate and I can keep my sight setting the same as for my heavy hard kicking/hitting 240 gr loads.
    But with the weight and size of the Super Blackhawk, why limit myself to that when I can have as much or more power from magnum loads in .357?

Now, the truth:
    Unknown to some of you guys (too many to name here, LOL) there is this thing called a ... Shooting Budget.
    Unfortunately I know what one of those is, so does my better half.
    In order to stay within budget I need to move something out to make room for my next new toy..... Hum, I've never owned a stainless Blackhawk.

Why just yesterday I was looking at a stainless .357 / 9mm convertible Blackhawk with a 4.62" barrel on Ruger's web site.
    Even though it sounds like I'm singing the blues over the loss of a gun .... Truth is, I'm about to get a new toy!
    And I get to claim it's all for the responsibility of "staying within budget". See how that works? :cheesy:

Like I said in my OP, it's all good. :D

16. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Just got out of the 44 Mag business

It's a done deal...... I'm no longer in the '4' club.

17. 00b5

00b5 Member

You will like it!

Attached Files:

18. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Back in the "old days," like 35+ years ago, I had to get a Super B cause the S&W 29 was unavailable due to the "Dirty Harry" syndrome. I really wanted something shorter and the .44 mag was only available in the 7.5" length. Got a short .357 Blackhawk, but it was just not smokin' cause I was use to shooting the lighter S&W Mod 19s and medium frame Colt Troopers.

One day I stumbled onto a 4 5/8" Black hawk in .41 Mag. The gun was short like I wanted int he .44 withouth having to have a Super B cut down. i icouldn't afford that. It was lighter than my short .357 cause there was actually less steel in the chambers and barrel cause of the bigger bore. Well, it felt that way. It might not have been. Anyway it had the smaller alloy grip frame and was much lighter than the .44 Super B. It was still a "4" bore being a .41 bore. Compared to the .429 Mag, there was not much difference in full bore loads. Most of the time I was loading the .44s with 200 to 220 gr. bullets, which was right at the .41 mag power range. So, the .41 became my most carried piece at the time for being out in the field and as a backup to a hunting rifle.

Still have one .44 Super B and have had 2 others like it and one with the 10" barrel. I don't shot the Super much if at all. If If I was still hunting, I would carry the .41 mag. Hardly anyone uses it anymore that I know of. And yeah, I shoot the .357 alot with light loads, mostly for plinking. But for me, the best of the 3 cals is the short barrel .41.

19. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Quite a while ago I had a .357 / 9mm Blackhawk 4 & 5/8". It was not as accurate as a non convertible 4 & 5/8" that I previously owned.
    So I traded it away.... (BTW, that's how I got the Super Blachawk).
    I still own a 6.5" in .357 that I've had for ever. It's very accurate. It's a keeper.

Now I've got the itch for another 4 & 5/8" in .357. I'm thinking while I'm at it, might as well get a convertible in stainless this time.
    Don't want to pay full pop for a new one so I'll be searching for a smokin deal. ;) Could take a while......

20. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

Carried a 41 mag 4" S&W model 27 when I was a Arizona Ranger. Also had a 41 six inch Blackhawk for when we did western. Never seen an inaccurate 41 mag, great shooting gun. Oh, I carried Winchester Silvertips when on duty.:D

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016