Thumb knuckle abused by American Pistol compact

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by striker9mil, Jul 1, 2018.

1. striker9mil

striker9mil New Member

So this is strange. My full size American Pistol does NOT beat up my thumb knuckle but my compact American Pistol really beat up my thumb knuckle when I took it to the range to test it out. Has anyone else had this issue? If so, how do you overcome it?

I have heard that you have to adjust your grip but can changing the back strap to a different size help as well?

2. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I have not had that problem. When I first brought it home I tried all the backstraps, picked the one that felt the best, and it's been clean sailing ever since.

striker9mil likes this.

3. striker9mil

striker9mil New Member

What size back strap did you put on it?

It’s weird because I heard about this issue on the full size American, before I bought it, from the YouTube channel Military Arms Channel. However, I bought the full size American anyway and since I never experienced my thumb getting beat up at the range with the full size I went ahead and purchased the compact to complete the set. Sadly, my thumb started getting beat up with the compact but I did not have the different back straps for the compact during this time at the range. I haven’t had the chance to go to the range a 2nd time with it to see if I could fix it.

4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

How we hold a gun in our hand can make a big difference in hand getting beat up. Same gun with different holding position can make all the difference from one time compared to the next.
    Been there done that.

67stingray and striker9mil like this.
  5. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Medium

striker9mil likes this.