Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got home from dinner with a couple guy friends who I convinced to carry some months ago. They recently completed basic firearms training and have a good grasp on the basics. I urged them to take an advanced course while the basics are fresh in their minds. They are going to do so.

One of them mentioned that he felt the basic training was deficient in terms of self defense and had focused on basic gun handling and shooting. I told them that is what basic is. Advanced training would cover the aspects of self defense.

Then I was asked how I was taught to assess threats from others. I thought I would share my learning in this forum. Here is what I told them about my training in the Corps.

There are four threat levels:
Perceived
Possible
Probable
Certain

Here are two examples of threat analysis.

Walking down the street you see a woman pushing a stroller with a child in it. Seems to be innocent but while Not probable it is still possible. Either way she is perceived threat. She turn and goes into a store and so is no longer approaching you. She is still s possible threat because she could attack in or from the store but she is possible threat not probable.

Next example is a man walking toward you. He is a perceived and possible threat. Then he takes a folding knife out of his pocket, and that makes him a probable threat. He continues to approach you And he opens the knife blade. He just became a certain threat.

It is important to recognize that perception in not reality. Perception is an alert to prepare one for what the realty might become. Never shoot based upon perception. Shoot only when the reality is clear.

As a result of that training I cannot go anywhere without watching what is going on around me. That is situational awareness and a topic I might post about when the urge strikes.

·
Registered
411 Posts
You have touched upon what can make or break a person who chooses to arm himself in the defense of his family of course first, himself, and his property.

"Situation Specific" is probably a good way to describe it.

We train, we practice, we pray we are alert and able to distinguish the threat while always being vigilant and aware of that 21 foot rule.

We pray we never have to pull that gun out, because we know when we do, we are ready to kill.

Wound/wing/scare that works great in the movies, but in real life, we know we have to be ready to kill or we really have no business carrying our weapon.

So, yeah, we must always remain vigilant. Always aware.

Good post Allen.

Thank you.

Doc

1 - 2 of 2 Posts