Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Northern Arizona
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to confirm the thread size for the 4 scope mount holes in the 10/22 receiver. I believe they are 6-48. Can anyone confirm?

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Been there....;)

You are correct...factory threads are 6-48.

Easy to tap to 8-40 if need be.

Jim

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
No problem,

Jim

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Thats strange, I went thru some stripped holes ,back a few years, and mine were 6-48.

Maybe , could be , they made a change.

Easy to check which yours is by picking up a 6-40 and a 6-48 screw from local hardware store.

Jim

·
Northern Arizona
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Putting out a few feelers, 6-48 is the answer I keep getting back. In my small town, 6-48 screws are a tough find, so the test is not so easy. I'm still banking on 6-48 though...

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
I researched that question , thru several other forums.. and I keep getting 6-48 .

Jim

·
Northern Arizona
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Same here, Jim. I'm in the process of setting up my optic & mount for my 10/22 Takedown, which will arrive here this week. I want the ability to use my iron sights by using QD rings on the scope, and I have modified a factory mount by milling a line-of-sight channel down the middle of it. This will necessitate new screws (shorter), and with tapered heads so they will seat lower in tapered countersunk holes. I took a chance & ordered 6-48 tapered flat head screws, but then I began getting conflicting information on the thread size. I'm relieved to keep getting 6-48 back from others, so I don't have to start over again on this setup...;)

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Good luck,
Hope it works out good for ya.

Come back and let us know about it.

Jim

·
Northern Arizona
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
10-4...will share some pics ;) (unless the plan fails, in which case I will deny ever attempting it)

·
Northern Arizona
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, this project came out pretty well. I cut a line-of-sight channel down the middle of a factory optic mount at the depth of the factory countersunk holes. This gave me a perfect view of the factory fiber optic sights, even with the UTG Bug Buster mounted. The photo below with the sun glare reveals the rear of the milled mount. Also added was a JWH Custom charging handle and a Smith Enterprises stainless muzzle brake.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Looking good.

What threads were they ?

Jim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts