Thoughts on Rossi youth 22.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Vanousb, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Vanousb

Vanousb New Member

I join forums because I like the discussions you can have from people with common interest. I also learn a ton form real users which I think is important. This forum has been great about both. So here is my new request for opinions.

My daughter is 9. He has seen me shooting and has been asking me to take her with me lately. She has shoot some basics be guns, pellet, etc. (safety in mind), but has been asking for a "real" gun lately. I am one that believes in teaching responsible use and want her to learn to be safe, comfortable, and good with guns if she is interested. With that in mind, I have been looking for a good, but inexpensive youth rifle. My childhood rem 514 is too long for her right now. I didn't want to spend a lot because I want to see if she will like it enough to continue and she needs to grow a little more for full size.

Yesterday can across and decided to buy (but give yet) an older model (s201220pk) youth Rossi 22. With bsa scope, sling, and 100 rds ammo for 125. Figure with basic scope, sling, and ammo, I basically gave between 60-80 for the gun itself. Did not have the 410 barrel. I had been looking at the youth rifles (rascal, crickett, etc. at local shops going between 130-200).

Would like some options on it a introduction rifle for a youth.
    Is the price sounds fair?

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

First of ...the price is good, IMO.

I have started and finished (so to speak) my 3 grandsons from the time they were 4-6 yrs ol.
    BB guns, then a Cricket, then a full size .22 lr. basic safety being taught the first yr (which they now teach others).

I think the Rossi, single shot, is the perfect single shot for her to move up to, and you cant do it any cheaper.

Keep it interesting for her with reactive target shooting , then paper target shooting as a challenge to improve. They/she will soon get competetive..:cool:

congrats on the new rifle.

Jim

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I chatted with Vanousb on another board, same subject. I don't agree that a break-open .22 is the perfect starter, but the Rossi ought to do. He is focused on safety, and the gun is safe enough. It just doesn't quite translate to the single shot bolt action she will be handling next. I'm hoping she won't be in a yank to have a repeater by then.

God and her Dad be with her.

4. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Well , OK,

Maybe not the perfect starter , but seeing as how you already bought it ....

Jim

5. Vanousb

Vanousb New Member

Ended up adding a savage rascal to compare with. Much lighter bolt action. Easier for my girl to handle properly. Rossi is a lot heavier and she tends to let it drop as she aims. Also had some issues smoothly pulling hammer back on Rossi. Bolt action takes that issue away. Think the Rossi is more suited for tweener ages. Will be selling Rossi and keeping the rascal.