Thinking of selling my SR1911

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by EasyCZ, Apr 10, 2014.

1. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

I'm contemplating selling my SR1911 to fund an M1 Garand. I hate selling guns, but with tax season hitting hard, it seems the best way to find the Garand.

I don't shoot it that often and hardly ever carry it. She's beautiful, but I can replace her with a lighter and more carryable Commander down the road.

I figure it will be easier to replace a 1911 than find a good-priced Garand down the road.

What are your thoughts?

2. Nogoat

Nogoat New Member

I blew my grand op a few years ago, now from CMP they are pricey. I like one still.

3. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

There are alot of 1911s. Not too many Garands floatinng around. Something to think about, the guns are heavy. Don't know if that matters much to you. Had one for a while. later had an M1A1 the semI M14, and an L1A1. All big old long, heavy guns. Great for shooting at longer ranges off a bench. well, for me anyway cause I am short. Even the H&K 91 clone I have is heavy, just not quite as long. But if a Garand does it for ya, go for it.

4. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

Understanding the way your thinking.......and SR1911 models are more available now than they were a few years back....

5. Redleg

Redleg New Member

I would not sell the SR1911 but that's me.

I have a Garand, and it is a cool rifle, but I shoot my pistols more, and my .45 1911s the most... :cool:

6. Blaze

Blaze New Member Lifetime Supporter

If really want the rifle then it seems like a good thing to do.

Then other hand how much you shoot the SR ?

Davìd

7. weblance

weblance New Member

I learned a long time ago... If I have a gun that I like... dont sell it. Save up for the rifle, and keep the 1911.

I dont shoot my SR1911 much at all. I really dont care for the 1911 platform, but sell it? NEVER !!

8. Redleg

Redleg New Member

Guns are such an individual thing. I shoot the daylights out of my 1911s and that is my favorite platform except maybe for .357 revolvers.

9. NWMarc

NWMarc New Member

You couldn't pry my SR 1911 from my cold dead hands. :)

10. UptownSeb

UptownSeb New Member

The commander model is technically lighter but I find the balance of the 1911 to be better and actually feel lighter on the hip.

11. jdavies41566

jdavies41566 New Member

How much

Sent from my iPhone using Ruger Forum

12. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

Only contemplating. No final decision made yet. But, leaning toward keeping the slabside.

13. stalkingbear

stalkingbear New Member

You'll have seller's remorse if you sell your SR1911. You have a good 1 and as much of a Ruger lover that I am, what with mass production being what it is, some guns coming out are a lot better than others. Not knocking Ruger or any other mass produced brand, just some guns get out that shouldn't. My pet peeve is accuracy. I'm an accuracy freak. If a certain gun is extremely accurate for a factory gun it's to be treasured. On the other hand, Garands are slowly drying up. Is there a certain reason you want a Garand? Personally I like the "improved model", the M1A better since it's more readily scopable for my aging eyes. Of course the Garand is arguably the gun that won WW2 and saved the free world. If it hadn't been for the Garand we might be speaking german or japanese lol.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  14. Hillbilly

Hillbilly New Member

I sold mine to my local gun store once recently went back the next morning to buy it back
    Put it in lay a way and now she's mine again
    Thought about selling her again recently for a Marlin 336BL I really want one but I think I'm gonna just save and wait I would just miss her too much
    It's a SR 1911 cmd
    She's a tack driver

15. Joew

Joew New Member

If you shoot the 1911 I would say keep it and just save for the rifle. Then save for the commander. Then you wouldn't regret selling the government size later on. Been there done that. Now I am saving to buy what I have sold and my wife thinks I am nuts. :eek:

16. Hillbilly

Hillbilly New Member

Don't worry Joew I've done what your talking about as well and my wife thinks I'm nuts as well
    Maybe I am nuts but I just figure If I'm gonna buy a gun I gotta shoot it a bit before I can even know if I like it or not
    So sometimes I buy a gun shoot it for a while and then want something else and then sell it and buy something else

17. Hillbilly

Hillbilly New Member

My brother says doing this is called paying the stupid tax
    Meaning I purchase a gun for $500.00 new
    I keep it for a while and decide to sell
    it We'll then I end up only getting half what I paid for it that equals a $250.00 loss that equals paying $250.00 of stupid tax
    Not good I guess but I sell two guns I don't like and don't shoot for one that I do want and will shoot and then you end up happy with what you got
    It is what it is
    I guess

18. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

Well, I've come to the conclusion that I'm not selling my SR1911. Sure, I could get another one, but this one's mine. I'll find another way to get the Garand.

Thanks for talking me down, guys. ;)

19. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I think you made a smart decision there. There is always going to be a Garand around as they made many of them.I can tell you from experience that they are heavy and cumbersome and after a while, you won't shoot it as much as you are shooting your SR1911. If it's meant to be, the Garand won't be as far around the corner as you think. You done GOOD!
    Tommy

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  20. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

BUY THE M1.............

[​IMG]

...and never regret anything !! :D