Thinking of picking up a 10/22 takedown

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by morph860, Aug 15, 2013.

1. morph860

morph860 New Member

I've been shooting for a few months now. I have a Glock 27 and a Ruger Sr22 pistol. Looking at getting a rifle. I don't hunt, so just looking for something to use at the range. The place I go to has a 100 yd and then a combined 200/300 yd range for rifles. This would be my first rifle. I've shot an AR-15 before but we can no longer buy them here in CT. Has anyone had any issues with the "takedown" portion of their 10/22? Or are the parts pretty reliable? Seems like it'd be easier to clean and maintain than the regular version. Especially since I'm new to this. Are the 200/300 yd ranges unrealistic with this type of rifle? I was hitting at 200 yds no problem with the AR, but that was a 223 vs a 22lr. Still deciding if I should go for the 10/22 now, or hold off a bit and get a Mini 14 instead. Thanks in advance for the pointers.

2. Reagan

Reagan New Member

Just got my 10/22 Carbine....haven't been to the range yet....ordered a Timney trigger for it just because the reviews were sooo great....cost 3/4 the price of the rifle....
    I hear ya with the take-down cleaning....has to be better than the fixed models.......
    I've been told it's great @ 50yds....even better @ 25yds...but don't know what to expect @ 100yds.
    Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Ruger Forum

3. morph860

morph860 New Member

Thanks. If it's only going to get me to 25 or 50 yds, I'll prob just wait a bit and get a Mini 14. I can do 25 or 50 with my pistols.

4. Reagan

Reagan New Member

Well, ask around because like I said , I'm just telling you what I've been told......the 22LR is a lot cheeper and I also have a 223/556, so the $$$$ and ability for more range time was the biggest factor for me.

5. harrise

harrise New Member

I had a blast with my carbine in the 100-150 yard area. At 200+ yards the golden bullets were only going through the front side of a two liter full of water, but you could still tell you hit it. Might need a little 'Kentucky windage' out that far, but I'd say it will be a fun gun for your purpose. For now... Then you can get the Mini, just a little more wait. I'd get the takedown now. But I suck at waiting.

6. morph860

morph860 New Member

Picked up the takedown today. Threaded barrel model. Cabelas had a real good price on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Ruger Forum

7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Pics or it didn't happen...;)

8. Blaze

Blaze New Member Lifetime Supporter

Congrats on the new .22. You have pics ?

9. morph860

morph860 New Member

Here are some pics

Attached Files:

10. Reagan

Reagan New Member

Sweet! Congrats....now to find some reasonably priced 22LR!

11. morph860

morph860 New Member

22LR hasn't been very hard to find around here. I picked up 2 bulk boxes. One is 500 rds, paid $40. The other is 300 rds, paid $20. All hollow points.

Also had a 400 or 500 rd box of lead round nose but they kept getting stuck in my SR22. Sold those.

12. morph860

morph860 New Member

Just need to get it cleaned and take it to the range. Can't find any good cleaning videos for the takedown on YouTube. Anyone have one they can point me to?

Sent from my iPhone using Ruger Forum

13. Reagan

Reagan New Member

Did you check out the videos on the Ruger site .... Has one for the take down and then some on cleaning 10/22s