The walk to Arizona begins tomorrow at 7AM

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by allenr, Sep 12, 2017.

1. allenr

allenr Member

As some forum members know my planned trek to AZ was postponed for a month because I broke a bone in my foot. Being fully recovered and physically trained to the point needed, and with the weather here approaching the coolness of fall, I leave tomorrow about 9AM.

So I won't be pericipating much except when I can get WiFi connection when going through a a town or village. I am avoiding cities. I will check in before I start out, and then I have no idea when I might do that again.

I enjoy my visits to this forum. Good people who are courteous even when in disagreement. Wishing all the best.

Allen

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

You are surely going to have a great experience. Best to you.

3. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

We'll miss you Allen. Have a safe journey and I hope you find what you're looking for

4. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Allen,

You have my name and phone number so please don't be shy should you need any help.........water, ride, phone service, whatever you MAY need, I don't want you to hesitate. Az is hot right now but our temps will drop to the mid to high ninetys this week-end. The night time temps are in the low 80's so you may want to rest as much as possible. There is nothing wrong with asking for help as this is just a trek. Although it is a mighty one, it's not worth risking your health.

I would consider it a pleasure just to say hi and help if needed. I wish you the best of luck in your venture and may God protect you on your journey. With all my best wishes and friendship, God's speed!!!

Tommy

5. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Hey Buddy,
    Hope you are able to accomplish your goal,

Be safe,
    Holler at us when you can, keep us up on how it's going.

Jim

6. allenr

allenr Member

I made 21 miles today to reach Oxford, PA. It took me 12 hours. Turning in in a few minutes. Had the good fortune to be able to pirate a residential Wifi connection near me to send this. Have to sleep. Really tired. Semper Fi.

7. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

May God grant you health, safety, sunshine, and good fortune on the trip, AllenR!

8. havasu

havasu In the army now..

Allen, if you trek near Lake Havasu, let me know and you can stay at my lake house for a few days to recover.

9. allenr

allenr Member

Near Gettysburg, PA now. Went 150 miles in 7 days. Turning south into WV now. Will be walking through the Shenandoah Valley by late Saturday. Be well.

10. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Sounds like you're making good progress. Keep it up!

11. buster40c

Are you sleeping under the stars at night? Would like to hear the highlights and are you keeping a daily journal?

12. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

Sounds great, keep up the good pace.:)

13. allenr

allenr Member

Have now traveled 228 miles since leaving on 9/14. That is short of my 20 MPD goal. Guess I am getting old.

To answer some questions in this thread I report as follows.

I am sleeping under the stars and preparing mu two meals a day. Carry enough provisions for 3 day and visit store for resupply. Water is all filtered from natural resources. Keeping a brief digital journal with comments, daily progress and photos of scenic places. Gotta love my iPhone and the solar charger I have for it is performing as intended.

Today marks the end of week 2. I am near the south end of Capacon State Park in West Virginia. Following a state road came to a n inexpensive shabby motel with WiFi. Decided it would be a good idea to bathe and get on the Internet for a while. Fired up the iPad for the evening. Will be sleeping in a bed tonight. What a luxury. Washed my clothes in the motel’s pay washer/dryer. Forgot what clean clothes smell like.

Just got back from a country diner about a mile away. Did the all American dinner of meatloaf, mashed potatoes, green beans. Too stuffed to have desert.
    About to turn in for the night and get a sunrise start on the trail. But for now i am in a shabby paradise .

Will check in again when timing, location, and circumstances permit. Not sure when that might be. A week at least and two weeks at most.

Allen

14. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

Best of luck to you, Allen. A journey of a lifetime. Sounds like you're doing great.

15. havasu

havasu In the army now..

Awesome! Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Please keep us in the loop.

16. buster40c

Sounds like an adventure for sure.

17. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Sounds pretty cool Allen. Stay safe!

18. havasu

havasu In the army now..

I wonder if he listening to music as he walks? Or just listens to nature? I wonder if he does alot of talking to himself? Is he armed? I wonder what type of wildlife he is experiencing? I wonder if he meets folks along the route? I wonder if it is flat, or alot of hill climbing? I wonder if he has blisters and how he treats them? I wonder if he wakes up with ants and bugs on him? I wonder if he smells himself? I wonder if he finds bodies of water where he jumps in to wash off? I wonder if he is concerned about twisting an ankle, in the middle of nowhere and then what happens? I wonder what his plans are for when he completes the journey? I wonder if he is able to find out any news occuring around the world? I wonder if he regrets this? I wonder if he understands that each and every one of us are envious for what he is doing, and are rooting for him?

19. allenr

allenr Member

In answer to HVasu questions:

I do not listen to music as I walk. I listen to whatever sounds surround me. Part loving nature and part always being situationally aware are the reasons.

I do talk to myself when I am trying to work through a decision. Other than that I bore myself so I keep quiet.

I am armed with a Remington 380 subcompact loaded with Ruger ARX and I carry 2 extra mags. That adds up to 18 + 1. I have an additional box of 25 rounds in my pack.

The wild life is see is a lot of ground critters like squirrels, rabbits, ground hogs, and even skunks. Some dear at twilight and dusk come in view. No rattlers yet but several copperheads. There was in coyote pair a couple days ago.

I do meet folks as I hike. Some are hikers. Some are locals. All are nice and offer help and good wishes. Good people. It is refreshing.

In pick my course from topographical maps and try to avoid steep climbs. It is just as fast to skirt them that to go more direct and take the same time going up and down. I do not get blisters. I learned the importance of good fitting boots and taking up the inside space with good socks - wool only.

Insects are a constant problem anytime you sit or lay down on the ground. It comes with the turf. You get over it real fast.

I wash off anytime I find a clean running stream. Soak a bandanna and just wipe down. It is real delight.

Unproductive to worry about injury or worse. Better to be alert and aware to stay safe. If injury happens, I will have to deal with it as best I can under the circumstances. I stay very observant of terrain and footing. Foot, leg or lower joint injury would be the worst. If I can walk, I can survive. If I cannot walk I am in trouble.

My thoughts about completing this long trek are not well focused, but I imagine sleeping for two days.

I have a small Grundig portable radio with me. I get decent reception when near a metro area. That is the only way I get news. Must admit that not getting the news rush we are normally exposed to is a real pleasure.

I do not regret making the trek, but when tiredness overwhelms for a time I question my judgement at least and my sanity at most. Then I get up and get moving and it all goes away.

I know all of you are rooting for me, but there is nothing to be jealous about. I did not do this to prove myself to me. I already did the prove yourself thing. I am doing it to confront the tendency to succumb to aging. At 75 the urge to declare yourself done with meeting challenges is almost overwhelming. For those more cerebral than I, I suppose more learning overcomes the feeling. For me, a man who earned his status by always confronting physical and psychological challenge, I had no other way.

20. allenr

allenr Member

I am in Elkins WV near the Monongahela National forest. Beautiful country here, but raining heavy, I am holed up in a coffee shop with WiFi and good coffee and nice s sandwiches. So nice to eat a fresh Ham and cheese sandwich. Proprietor is very friendly and asked me where I was going. We chatted and he said I could hang out there all day if I wanted to get out of the rain. It is really raining hard.

Loks like a wet week. My route of travel will be plagued by the aftermath of hurricane Nate coming right up my way. No way to avoid as the width of Nate’s path make it impossible to divert course to stay dry. This part is no fun.

Headed for Kentucky, but the bad weather will certainly slow me down a lot. So it goes. More another day when I dry out.