The Ruger PC

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by VThillman, Oct 29, 2015.

1. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Anyone here own a Ruger PC (Police Carbine) or PC9? I just discovered there are such things. The .40 S&W version looks and reads interesting. Hasn't been in production since 2007 - I'm too late again, naturally. Right now
    I have a pile of .40 S&W cartridge components, but sold both the EAA/Tanfoglio Witness and the S&W M&P40 handguns. I can't seem to get excited about the Hi Point carbine... That Ruger PC would have been just the ticket maybe.

esmith1721 likes this.
  2. single5

single5 New Member

Have you checked on gunbroker? Keep checking there and I bet u could find one. Happy hunting

3. deputygene

deputygene New Member

I have a PC4 with a Tasco Pro Point red dot on it. Sportsmans guide has 20 round pro mag magazines that feed flawlessly. I usually feed it 180gr hard cast bullets at moderate velocities. Rifle is heavy, trigger is heavy, but it is fun fun fun to shoot! Some buddy's of mine have pistol caliber carbines, including a couple high points, several Kel tecs and a Marlin camp nine. We meet at the range and set up metal plates and shoot different scenarios. Pretty fun.
    PC4 is a great "What was that bump in the night" gun. I was thinking about getting another, but they seem to be running about $600.00 now.

4. CLF

CLF Hunter, CAS/SASS

deputygene, Carolina Lead Foot here. I have the Marlin Camp in 9mm and some S&W mags that work in it. Excellent condition. Just wanted to say high.

Foot of Lead

5. JohnR

JohnR New Member

I haven't seen any on Gunbroker for under $700-900.

6. deputygene

deputygene New Member

Hello Carolina Lead Foot, long time. You should bring your Marlin out sometime to one of our informal PCC shoots. Think CAS, but modern guns.

7. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Neat platform but just to 10/22-ish visually which i think turned some off . The big shadow from the whole AR boom finished them off. Was seeing them fairly frequently just 5 or 6 yrs ago. Now when you see one, it's up there where JohnR said - $700+.

8. deputygene

deputygene New Member

The way High point and Kel Tec are selling PCC's, maybe Ruger should think about making another limited run.

9. JohnR

JohnR New Member

If they did a takedown version it would sell like hotcakes. No reason it should cost more than $400 either. My interest is mainly because I have P- series magazines, but if they built one today they'd probably use the Ruger American Pistol magazines.

10. deputygene

deputygene New Member

Midway just had the PC4 ten round magazines on sale for $9.99, I picked up three more. Went back to order a couple more and they were out :(
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Super fun gun, sighted in with the Red Dot at 50 yards, it is still dead on at 100 yards. Winchester flat points chrono at 1335fps. 200 fps above what they do out of the handgun.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  11. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

The 10/22 TD's command prices in the $325 +/- range so the market itself would bring prices past your $400 mark. After having to factor in design and engineering costs and actual production starts it's going to command prices above hat of a .22lr plinker. However, if you really think it's doable, by all means, invest your $ and get it made. :)

12. deputygene

deputygene New Member

I shot my PC4 some today at the range. I had removed the Tasco Pro Point red dot and put it back on, so I was sighting in today.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    This is a 20 round group. The Tasco has a huge dot, almost covers this large bulleyey at 50 yards.

13. deputygene

deputygene New Member

I usually shoot real light reloads in my PC4, but got looking around and found that I had a case of 180gr hard cast lead truncated cone flat point bullets sitting around. I also had two unopened cans of Unique powder, got looking around the net and found that 5.2 gr of Unique was listed in some places as a max load with 180gr lead, others 5.8. So I loaded a few at 5gr, a few more at 5.2, and a few more at 5.3-5.4 and went out plinking. Unique is hard to get to throw a real consistent charge, but the highest charge was putting them heavy lead pills out at around 1150fps, breaking the sound barrier. Tried them in my Glock with lone wolf barrel and recoil was past stout. 5.1 - 5.2 was better, 1050 fps over the chrono, good accuracy. Recoil still stout in the Glock. I can't wait to try these off the bench. When I have time off to tromp through the woods, I carry the Ruger more and more. A 180gr TCFP at 1050fps should be good medicine for about anything.

14. mrmike7189

mrmike7189 Member

The PC4 is very accurate with the 180 grain ammo....very little recoil as well. 155/165 grain kicks more, and I;m not as accurate

Attached Files:

15. 773PPVM

773PPVM New Member

Looks like a fun little carbine! Too bad they're not making it anymore.

16. mrmike7189

mrmike7189 Member

gunbroker.com has one in 40 and 2 in 9MM for sale

gunbriker has 3 of them this week for sale

17. esmith1721

esmith1721 New Member

Got one today at Gulf states. Will be a week or so before I can get to the range.

18. mrmike7189

mrmike7189 Member

Since ruger is making a new one in 9mm, just announced at the shot show and this months NRA magazine, I think you may see some come up for sale on the used market? The new ones take SR series mags and Glock mags. (The original only accepted P series mags.) If thats what you want be patient,keep checking gunbroker and gunsamerica. I can see one in your future!
    2/5/18 I just got my hands on one at kittery trading post ,kittery maine. It handles like the original , the polymer stock is nice and solid. Only thing different is the location of the slide lock is underneath in front of trigger guard. On mine the slide lock is on the left side of the receiver.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018