the reloading season

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by VThillman, Jun 7, 2015.

1. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Blast it, I need to do some reloading, because I'm still in the process of working up loads for several of my guns. That's part of the problem: when working up loads, there's no point in doing a big batch - because that load is probably not the one you are looking to settle on.

So now I have some data, and need to continue the process. BUT, it ain't winter. Winter is when I get enthusiastic about reloading; this is shooting weather, not reloading weather.

I shoulda known this would happen. Probably did know, somewhere in my cobwebby mind. I'm hoping this post, exposing myself to ridicule, will get me going. I have .44 Magnum cases and bullets on the bench, and a bottle of H110; No die in the press though, and the powder thrower is empty still.

Argh, this is hard.

:violin:

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I have the same problem, except opposite seasons,

It gets so hot and humid here in summer (May-Sep) that I go to my A/C shop to do my relaoding.

I have plenty bullets, brass, and powder for 38,9mm,357,44 spcl,44 mag, 45 acp , 45 lc, 45-70, 460 mag, and 30 carb.

Just gotta wait till its too hot to get outside, Its 92 and high humdity today.

Jim

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Yep procrastination seldom has a better outcome. But that's when you just gotta get er dun.
    Well VT if you will visit Tommy or myself then you go back to VT you will think it is winter. problem solved. It's winter so get loading.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  4. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I don't know what you guys consider hot (and I'm sure it is) but our temps right now are at 105+. You can believe me or not, I am reloading .45 cal. with my old Herter's single stage reloader. I resize approx. 200 rounds on one day, deprime and bell the casings, another day and then prime the third day. When I get around 250 rounds ready, then I load. I have to do it at 5 am which will never happen cuz I am NOT a morning person. So I will start around 9:30 am and quit around noon. Last night I resize about 200 rounds at 8 pm cuz the sun is down and I can turn a fan on and hope for a breeze. They say Az is a dry heat but so is my oven. Stick your head in your oven when it hits 115-118, no matter, it's still hot. I have another month before the heat really hits and then I will be done for about a month and a half.
    Tommy

5. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

To me 75 is HOT,especially if I'm doing something.:D.......I try to do my reloading in the winter too so I can shoot in the Spring before it gets hot,which usually never happens and I don't get to shooting until summer.Luckily if I need to reload during the summer I have central A/C so it's not that big of a deal. (I bet that part didn't help ya get motivated did it?? :eek:)

6. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

"But it's a dry heat"

Answer:
    What did the skeleton on the desert floor say.

BTW, Tommy's tellin the truth about the heat out there.

7. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Magnum,
    Now you have A/C???? Jeeeeeeeeeeeeez, you have your own land, range, pond with fish, I suppose a fishing pole and bait. Can I move in with you? Talk about a lucky guy. I think you should invite all of us down to your place for personalized tour and of course give us some range time.
    We will bring our own hot dogs and hamburgers, you just provide the drinks. Diet Coke for me please.
    Tommy

8. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

No,No,No,
    That was squirrelhunter bragging about A/C.
    No fishing pond ether! I don't even fish. You can ask my wife!
    But now that you mention it, I gotta get off this computer and make some 9mm test loads in my air conditioned gun room.
    You gotta have A/C where you live!!!!!
    If not we are gonna take up a collection for you!
    Talk at you later.
    Magnum has left the keypad.

9. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

OK, I broke through the reload season barrier - mostly because of unbearable curiosity. Loaded 13 rounds of the 265gr WFNGC .44 magnum for the rifle, 21gr H110 this time. If I don't see leading, this will be my standard load. (The rifle's groove dia. is .432-.433, so lead bullets need to be that fat. Can't run them in the Virginian.)

Also... some time back I ordered 50 300gr Sierra soft nose "44 Mag" bullets, and the back order arrived a couple days ago. Seating to the leading edge of the... crimping groove thingy - there goes the old memory again, The COAL is 1.710, which is about .060 too long for my Browning 92. Fits in the Virginian though, so that's what they're going into. 19 gr of H110, which is a reasonably conservative charge, and not compressed. That 300 gr bullet is a fair chunk of lead in a pistol. One of you guys may need to help me hang on to the gun.

10. squirrelhunter

I shot 300g XTPs out of my Super Blackhawk for years and with Bluedot the recoil wasn't bad at all,I'm sure with H110 it would've been worse. Course it had a 10 1/2" barrel,scope and magna porting too ;). It sure was a lot better than 180g XTPs with 296 :eek:,lucky I didn't soil my britches.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  11. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Hah. I don't know if W296 was the same powder as H110 back then, but it must have been close. Sometimes with the lighter bullets loaded 'warm' it's the flash-bang that, um, impresses me.

The .357 magnum is my favorite handgun cartridge, but the .44 magnum is high in my esteem; also the most I can handle. The .445 super magnum would be too much in a gun I could hold at arm's length for more than a short while. A 'shooting stick' for a handgun just doesn't seem practical.

12. squirrelhunter

The flash on those loads were very very impressive for sure.

35 Remington in a pistol is about my limit,it about flew out of my hands several times until I got use to it.:eek: