Ruger Talk Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got out this morning with the 'plinker' (a.k.a. the beast) for the first shots, no pattering as I just wanted to get a feel for it and how it would operate. It cycled with authority, no short stroking. I was wearing my heavy down winter jacket so no doubt it absorb some recoil but it felt good in the hands and didn't knock me around. Of course once I start blasting my steel buckshot loads and wearing just a shirt it may be a totally different story.

But I'm very pleased at this point. And I shot from both sides.
I ordered another choke for it as I won't be able to use the one I have with the buckshot loads. Got the same style (extended) but with no restriction.
Stop off at one of the local big box stores and scoop up another 100 rounds at .32 cents a round, you can't beat that with a stick. And if all goes as planned it will become my buckshot defense load. I now have a stash of 500 rounds.

I hope the online shops realize a lot of people out here will never buy sht from them again, I sure as hell won't.
It's been the local brick and mortar who has not gouge the public. And they will get my business.
Every single online shop is robbing the public.

I'll keep this thread up to date as I journey along with the 'plinker' (a.k.a. the beast)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I cooked up some buckshot defensive loads using steel slingshot ammo at roughly .31 cal. (1½-0 buck) 12 pellet load.
Had to make changes to the original plan as I could not get the shot weight I needed in the wad that was in the shell so I cut the pedals off and wrapped the inside of the hull with mylar. I did buy some buffer and will test that out and see if it makes a difference. Don’t really need it with steel as it doesn’t deform like lead, I bought it more for patterning.

My barrel and choke are rated for steel but it’s generally steel birdshot. However I can’t shoot any type of slugs from the factory barrel because of the way they made it to pattern better. The last 5 inches or so are mic’d out to a 10 gauge and the danger is a slug will tumble and possibly lodge and if you don’t catch it we get kaboom the next round fired.

No problem cause I didn’t buy it to go long. 30 feet or less (note feet not yards) ‘the plinker’ (a.k.a. the beast) takes face off. And there is simply no better defensive tool period and I have 12 chances with every pull of the trigger.

I would much prefer however to reload the traditional way but until we can get powder and primers I will improvise and if I can’t reload I’m screwed because there are no factory defensive loads made I can handle. I got the math down for myself to a science, I know what pound force and recoil impulse I can tolerate. As well as I will not own any firearm I can’t have fun at the range with without beating me up.

Had I known what I know now I’d gotten a 12 gauge a long time ago before this ammo and supply debacle started. Thankfully I have a small stash to improvise with.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Wanted to test out my load and see what kind of effectiveness it would have.
I made an unscientific medium using a pizza pan as a backdrop layered with approximately ⅛ thick molding clay to act as elasticity a skin layer, covered over with approximately ⅜ thick jute pad. And on top of that I placed a poster board layer so I could see where it was pattering as well as a guide to aim center.

This was done in the middle of the pan’s circumference of approximately 11 3/4”.
I fired several rounds with all being at 30 feet away.

Wearing a sweatshirt this time out as the weather was in the 40’s. The recoil was noticeable without my thick down jacket on but it didn’t beat me up and was pleasant to shoot. The gun has good weight behind it and so muzzle rise is not a concern. I can control it and most importantly handle the beast.

This experiment shows me that should the need ever arise the ‘plinker’ (a.k.a. the beast) will take care of the problem.
They are clocking in at (approximately) 900-1000 fps with (approximately) 685 ft. lbs of energy at the muzzle with a total weight of (approximately) 380g. This is steel not lead, it doesn’t deform and it hits like a sledgehammer.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This test was to see what kind of energy, if any, my homemade load would have left after going through the initial target. So I set up a 1 ½ inch thick 12”x12” concrete stepping stone behind the target.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts