Ruger Talk Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yes, a 9mm PCC is fine. It's just that the Obsolete Marlin wouldn't be my 1st choice ( or 2nd, or 3rd)

Ruger, Beretta, Tabor would place ahead of the "Camp " 9mm.
Ruger is my choice the camp 9 belongs to someone else .

• Haha
Reactions: 40nascar

·
Registered
214 Posts
Some folks really like to defend their firearms! Obsolete is probably a stretch, but I would say the camp carbine is obsolescent. Eventually, those parts are going to run out. The parts and mags are kind of besides the point though. The feature set of newer PCCs is far greater than an older design. Personally in my situation and where I live, I wouldn't want to bug out with any PCC. Everyone has their own situation though!

·
Registered
108 Posts
The .41 mag and matching S&W model 58 were issued to law enforcement agencies in the 1960's and 70's, before the popular trend of auto-pistols in 9mm kicked in.

Supposedly, female officers couldn't handle the power of the .41 mag, which led to it's demise as a Cop gun. Just goes to prove that you don't send a women to do a man's job.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Some folks really like to defend their firearms! Obsolete is probably a stretch, but I would say the camp carbine is obsolescent. Eventually, those parts are going to run out. The parts and mags are kind of besides the point though. The feature set of newer PCCs is far greater than an older design. Personally in my situation and where I live, I wouldn't want to bug out with any PCC. Everyone has their own situation though!
Me neither,,,my Mini 14 would be my bug out rifle. I can carry 30 round mags and lots of ammo in a backpack.....but
the 9mm fills a niche for those that are novice gun owners, like my wife & daughter,

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
That's fine, I'll leave the rodents for you, and I'll go after big game. I can always fish for survival eating, between deer backstrap BBQ meals.
I have taken BIG GAME with a .22 and made less noise not to attract attention to my location so much for the 41 Magnums LOUD Canon-like Report. The .22LR is more than adequate for large game animals at 0-100 Yards Professional Poachers have done it for well over 100 Years with shorts and longs. They used a .22 to evade the Game Wardens These poor People depended on the poached meat to survive and there are still poor people in Appalachia from southern NY to WVA, VA, Eastern KY, TN NC, SC, GA, AR that still poach for Survival.

Bella Twin Killed a World Record Grizzly Bear in 1953 with a 22 Long single shot bolt rifle.

https://throughahunterseyes.com/bella-twin-22-used-take-1953-world-record-grizzly/#:~:text=Bella Twin is shown with the hide from,in Alberta, Canada. She was 63 years old.

Wood Road surface Snout Working animal Metal

Blue Vertebrate Green Mammal Natural material

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have taken BIG GAME with a .22 and made less noise not to attract attention to my location so much for the 41 Magnums LOUD Canon-like Report. The .22LR is more than adequate for large game animals at 0-100 Yards Professional Poachers have done it for well over 100 Years

https://throughahunterseyes.com/bella-twin-22-used-take-1953-world-record-grizzly/#:~:text=Bella Twin is shown with the hide from,in Alberta, Canada. She was 63 years old.

View attachment 13292

View attachment 13293

I don't consider hogs "Big Game". And I certainly would not go trudging through brush where 10 yards is a long shoot, with a 22 rimfire, looking for one. They ( hogs) are more like giant varmints. With the diseases they carry, I could never eat one.

How many have you eaten?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
I don't consider hogs "Big Game". And I certainly would not go trudging through brush where 10 yards is a long shoot, with a 22 rimfire, looking for one. They ( hogs) are more like giant varmints. With the diseases they carry, I could never eat one.

How many have you eaten?
I don't care what you consider BIG GAME a Wild Boar is a Large and Dangerous Game. The only 10 Yard shots are made when I trap them in a coral trap and it's still a .22lr Headshot that puts them to sleep with a Head Shot usually from a .22lr revolver where it loses a good bit of Velocity but the .22LR STILL gets the Job Done. But most of the time I sit in a Ladder Stand 25' off the Ground 50 - 75 Yards from a bait pile at night and make several Headshots in total Darkness and load up the Hogs afterward and transport them to the processor. Yes Both Wild & Domestic Swine carry a disease known as a blood-born Disease, Pseudorabies, Swine Brucellosis, Tularemia, Anthrax, Parasites this is why pork has to be cooked well for Human consumption to kill off these Diseases and Parasites. I have eaten several Wild Hogs and they taste no different from the pork meat at the grocery store. We give processed pork to food banks for the needy and if it were dangerous we would not be allowed to give it away.

IF THIS IS NOT A BIG GAME ANIMAL I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS!
BLACK BEARS ARE SMALLER THAN THIS IN MY STATE BLACK
BEAR AVERAGE WEIGHT IS 90 TO 180 POUNDS BUT SOME HAVE
BEEN AS HIGH AS 660 POUNDS 75 POUNDS HEAVIER THAN THE
HOG BELOW.

Plant Vehicle Car Working animal Hood

THIS HOGS WEIGHT WAS 585 POUNDS IT WAS SO HEAVY IT BROKE
THE TAILGATE BRACKETS WE HAD TO USE THE FRONT END LOADER
ON A TRACTOR TO GET IT LOADED. THE 22LR I/4 " BELOW THE EAR
BLEW OUT HIS LIGHTS! FOR A CLEAN HUMANE KILL .

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
How many have you eaten? "That's fine, I'll leave the rodents for you, and I'll go after big game. I can always fish for survival eating, between deer backstrap BBQ meals."
Do you consider Deer a Big Game Animal? As a Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator, I am often issued a Deer culling Permit also known as a depredation permit . I also use a .22lr To make headshots on deer on a field of crops 50 to 100 Yards away it only takes one to drop a White Tail. The Diseases carried by deer include Q-fever, chlamydiosis, leptospirosis, campylobacterosis, salmonellosis, cryptosporidiosis , giardiasis, Brucellosis, this meat is processed and given to the food banks to feed the needy no meat is damaged with the .22 LR whereas with a 41 magnum hand canon a whole shoulder would go to waste and all these diseases are killed by cooking the meat well. The average weight of a White Tail Deer is 100 pounds to 150 pounds you consider that Big Game the average weight of a feral Hog is 130 -180 Pounds and you don't consider that to be a big game??? Strange you say the Wild Swine carry Diseases and are not good to eat but Deer carry more Diseases than wild swine but you would eat deer meat ?????

·
Registered
108 Posts
Wild hogs are a nuisance animal, so no I don't consider it "Game", it's more of a large varmint, IMHO.

Deer are defined as "big game", by the agency that is authorized to manage their populations, in the state where I live.

Another reason I would carry a .41 magnum in my neck of the woods, is that we have an overpopulation of Mountain Lions, in my state, as the are protected from hunting , by the Libtards, who think they are cute, cuddly Cats.

Plant Nature Cat Felidae Wood

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Mountain lions are not in my area we have some Black Leopards but they are rare and very few . We have some Bob Cats I killed 4 last year with my Ruger 10/22 .

21 - 32 of 32 Posts