Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would not pick a direct blowback PCC as a bugout gun. And I say that as someone who owns both a 9mm and .40 cal Ruger PCC. Nice guns both, but like most PCC's, leave alot of crap where they eat. Especially if they are going to be used for security purposes, it's a pain to have to take the PCC apart every 200 rnds. Or so, to clean to maintain good function.

I do like the common caliber concept for a pistol and carbine. But for me, I like a levergun and magnum revolver combo better.

I know you are an experienced hunter and shooter, so I definitely respect your decision.

If I was to bug out, it would not be for hunting, but most likely for safety/personal security reasons. For that case, I would want at least an intermediate range, high power bottle neck rifle caliber carbine. For me a Ruger Mini 14 or 30 fills that bill.

And yes, I also have Glock and CZ pistols on hand, for the times they best fit the bill.

All that said, my favorite combo Is a Marlin 1894s, and S&W 657 mountain gun in .41 magnum.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I I do not think Armageddon or Mad Max is around the corner. I worry more about idiots living in denial, joining quasi rt wing groups, that favor bogus unproven theories and like to rant continuously about all the wrongs in the world, but are never wiling to do anything about fixing them, especially if it takes $$ from their beer and tobaccco allowance. Just one mans humble opinion.!
Hey, don't mess with my beer money! Or my muscle car!! And yea, Mad Max is my hero.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The Marlin camp 9 is a nice choice 9mm ammo is common and in great abundance, most police and military carry 9mm. Pistol caliber carbines are combat-proven a leaver gun and a wheel gun is an idiotic & poor choice.
The Camp Carbine is a poor choice for a couple reasons:

1) It is Obsolete. Marlin is out of business , and doesn't make parts and magazines for this firearm.

2) It is more delicate than other 9mm PCC'S in its class, because of cheaply made internal parts that break and need replacement on a fairly frequent basis.

3) It uses magazines from the S&W model 59 pistol, which is also obselete. S&W no longer makes the magazines, so your limited to existing mags, or marginal quality aftermarket magazines

·
Registered
108 Posts
I still think the Ruger PCC is the better and more practical firearm. And it's also made in .40 cal. The use of Glock mags is the frosting on the cake for the Ruger.
I love my PCC....it's a Marlin camp 9 carbine and it shares magazines with the Smith&Wesson 5900/6900 series pistols.
Although my Ruger mini 14 is a better bug out rifle. I will keep the Marlin for home defense ? and give it to my wife or daughter to use. In the meantime it is a fantastic plinking gun for target practice.
Amazing how popular these PCC's have become. the Rugers/Kel tecs/hi points are selling like hotcakes at fat camp😁
I would agree that the mini 14 is a better bugout gun, and the Marlin a plinker.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would not pick a .41 Magnum Leaver gun or an old wheel gun. #1 Ammo is rare # 2 Leaver gun is slow and cumbersome. a 41 caliber wheel gun and a .41 caliber leaver gun is a poor choice 9MM is a common popular round in great abundance you can carry more of it. Most military and Police carry 9mm. I have been in Ground Combat and have found the 9mm Pistol Caliber Rifle and 9mm pistol to work well in close quarters out to 200 meters. I served 20 years as a Combat Infantryman and this is my choice because of its combat firepower even in semi-auto you can accurately engage the target with overwhelming firepower. Cleaning can be done with a common brake cleaner and gasoline.
[pinker.
Very hard to find ammo and it's a poor choice! .22 LR is a better choice than an old large-caliber Leaver gun & Revolver Combo 41 magnum ammo is in low abundance even before the Hoarding began.
Yeah, my 5 yr old Henry, or 30 yr old Marlin, and 20 yr old S&W stainless Mountain gun, all with less than 100 rnds each thru them might be too old and worn out to be survival guns. And 1000 rnds, and reloading supplies to reload 1000 more might not be enough!

Is it OK, if I also take my takedown Ruger 10/22 and Walther/Smith pistol? Or am I only allowed one long gun and handgun each?

IMHO, the most likely reason for me to "Bug Out", would be a weather or fire event. Not likely it would be a military style shoot out situation.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The Marlin camp 9 is a nice choice 9mm ammo is common and in great abundance, most police and military carry 9mm. Pistol caliber carbines are combat-proven a leaver gun and a wheel gun is an idiotic & poor choice.
Yes, a 9mm PCC is fine. It's just that the Obsolete Marlin wouldn't be my 1st choice ( or 2nd, or 3rd)

Ruger, Beretta, Tabor would place ahead of the "Camp " 9mm.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The .41 mag and matching S&W model 58 were issued to law enforcement agencies in the 1960's and 70's, before the popular trend of auto-pistols in 9mm kicked in.

Supposedly, female officers couldn't handle the power of the .41 mag, which led to it's demise as a Cop gun. Just goes to prove that you don't send a women to do a man's job.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have taken BIG GAME with a .22 and made less noise not to attract attention to my location so much for the 41 Magnums LOUD Canon-like Report. The .22LR is more than adequate for large game animals at 0-100 Yards Professional Poachers have done it for well over 100 Years

https://throughahunterseyes.com/bella-twin-22-used-take-1953-world-record-grizzly/#:~:text=Bella Twin is shown with the hide from,in Alberta, Canada. She was 63 years old.

View attachment 13292

View attachment 13293

I don't consider hogs "Big Game". And I certainly would not go trudging through brush where 10 yards is a long shoot, with a 22 rimfire, looking for one. They ( hogs) are more like giant varmints. With the diseases they carry, I could never eat one.

How many have you eaten?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Wild hogs are a nuisance animal, so no I don't consider it "Game", it's more of a large varmint, IMHO.

Deer are defined as "big game", by the agency that is authorized to manage their populations, in the state where I live.

Another reason I would carry a .41 magnum in my neck of the woods, is that we have an overpopulation of Mountain Lions, in my state, as the are protected from hunting , by the Libtards, who think they are cute, cuddly Cats.

Plant Nature Cat Felidae Wood

1 - 11 of 11 Posts