Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

The Magpul PC Backpacker Stock for the Ruger® PC Carbine™ Above is the ultimate option for those wanting to bring advanced ergonomics and portability to their Ruger® PC Carbine™ rifle. With a similar look and functionality as our X-22 Backpacker stock, it offers a minimalist solution for the hunter or outdoorsman and was designed for those who want to transport their carbine in an efficient, convenient package without compromising shooting performance or ease of deployment.
The PC Backpacker is constructed with Magpul’s advanced polymer, featuring an ergonomic handguard with M-LOK® slots at the 3 & 9 o’clock positions and interchangeable cheek risers to accommodate for various sighting options. The PC Backpacker stock also features a MOE SL® rubber butt-pad offering an anti-slip surface that increases impact protection and is compatible with the MOE SL® Enhanced Rubber Butt-Pad for an additional 3/8” LOP.
Using a unique locking interface that attaches the barrel assembly to the receiver, the PC Backpacker provides an efficient solution for storage during transportation while maintaining convenient assembly from the stowed position. By including multiple QD cup mounting locations, we’ve made it easy to carry your Ruger® PC Carbine™ in either the broken down or assembled state with the Magpul Sling Mount Kit–Type 1 & Type 2.
We’ve also integrated two convenient storage locations. The first is a water-resistant grip storage compartment that provides an at-hand location for a small multi-tool, survival equipment, or cleaning equipment. The second is a compartment in the riser section that’s ideal for a single pistol magazine, fitting up to the PMAG® 21 GL9®.
Made in the USA.

I have ordered the Magpul Backpacker Stock for my Ruger PC Carbine that with Sightmark Digital Day / Night Scope I have 5 Glock 17 round mags for the rifle plus 4 Glock 32 round magazines for the Ruger PC9 9MM and my Springfield Armory XDM OSP Full Size 4.5" 20 rounds with one in the chamber and 4 spare 19 round mags. This combo brings plenty of firepower for the Bugout / Survival Rifle / Pistol combo. I have taken several Feral Hogs and Coyotes with this Ruger PC9 9mm rifle. I have also taken Feral Hogs with my XDM 9mm Pistol as well as my Hell Cat 9mm Pistol . I think once my Backpacker Stock arrives it will be the ultimate Bugout / Survival combo or Trunk Guns. Well, my Magpul stock arrived and installed it on the Ruger PC 9 Carbine and I am impressed it has a tighter Lockup to the receiver a free-floated Forearm improved accuracy and everything fits into my backpack. Storage for batteries in the pistol grip and storage of one 20 round mag in the stock.9mm Ammo is in abundance and most police and military use this ammo.

Military camouflage Camouflage Wood Machine gun Air gun

Air gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel Composite material

Reactions: 40nascar

·
Registered
3 Posts
Look forward to your thoughts. Plan on adding one, but didn’t like from their photos it looks like it only collapses probably with factory 10 or Glock 12 round mag mounted. Looks like barrel extends to far for the 17 round factory or 21 round glock mag. Better than nothing if you need to use it in a hurry but…

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would not pick a direct blowback PCC as a bugout gun. And I say that as someone who owns both a 9mm and .40 cal Ruger PCC. Nice guns both, but like most PCC's, leave alot of crap where they eat. Especially if they are going to be used for security purposes, it's a pain to have to take the PCC apart every 200 rnds. Or so, to clean to maintain good function.

I do like the common caliber concept for a pistol and carbine. But for me, I like a levergun and magnum revolver combo better.

I know you are an experienced hunter and shooter, so I definitely respect your decision.

If I was to bug out, it would not be for hunting, but most likely for safety/personal security reasons. For that case, I would want at least an intermediate range, high power bottle neck rifle caliber carbine. For me a Ruger Mini 14 or 30 fills that bill.

And yes, I also have Glock and CZ pistols on hand, for the times they best fit the bill.

All that said, my favorite combo Is a Marlin 1894s, and S&W 657 mountain gun in .41 magnum.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I love my PCC....it's a Marlin camp 9 carbine and it shares magazines with the Smith&Wesson 5900/6900 series pistols.
Although my Ruger mini 14 is a better bug out rifle. I will keep the Marlin for home defense ? and give it to my wife or daughter to use. In the meantime it is a fantastic plinking gun for target practice.
Amazing how popular these PCC's have become. the Rugers/Kel tecs/hi points are selling like hotcakes at fat camp😁

·
Registered
3 Posts
I like the Ruger PCC I recently got, but had a chance to play with a Sub 2000 shortly after, and as a bug out gun I absolutely see the appeal. Much more compact, lighter and tighter ghost ring.

Rugers build is hands down better though. Telling how many more parts MCarbo offers to upgrade from poly to metal. Still, tempted to add the Sub2000 for a bag and keep the Ruger for home.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I own the KelTec Sub2000, Ruger PCC & CZ Scorpion. They all work. The Keltec is lightest and easiest to maneuver, but mounting optics etc is more difficult. The CZ with folding stk is also a small package and great for indoor room clearing tactics with Light and Red Dot. The Ruger has Aluminum Forearm and Butt module that allows QD attachments and hard points for lights or other accessories, carries a LPVO and is more rifle like. Frankly, I really don't know what I would do with any of them if the SHTF scenario crops up. Reality is very different and I can't really fathom being in a situation that would require me to expend 200 rds or more and still be around to talk about it. I do not think Armageddon or Mad Max is around the corner. I worry more about idiots living in denial, joining quasi rt wing groups, that favor bogus unproven theories and like to rant continuously about all the wrongs in the world, but are never wiling to do anything about fixing them, especially if it takes $$ from their beer and tobaccco allowance. Just one mans humble opinion.!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I I do not think Armageddon or Mad Max is around the corner. I worry more about idiots living in denial, joining quasi rt wing groups, that favor bogus unproven theories and like to rant continuously about all the wrongs in the world, but are never wiling to do anything about fixing them, especially if it takes $$ from their beer and tobaccco allowance. Just one mans humble opinion.!
Hey, don't mess with my beer money! Or my muscle car!! And yea, Mad Max is my hero.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I would not pick a direct blowback PCC as a bugout gun. And I say that as someone who owns both a 9mm and .40 cal Ruger PCC. Nice guns both, but like most PCC's, leave alot of crap where they eat. Especially if they are going to be used for security purposes, it's a pain to have to take the PCC apart every 200 rnds. Or so, to clean to maintain good function.

I do like the common caliber concept for a pistol and carbine. But for me, I like a levergun and magnum revolver combo better.

I know you are an experienced hunter and shooter, so I definitely respect your decision.

If I was to bug out, it would not be for hunting, but most likely for safety/personal security reasons. For that case, I would want at least an intermediate range, high power bottle neck rifle caliber carbine. For me a Ruger Mini 14 or 30 fills that bill.

And yes, I also have Glock and CZ pistols on hand, for the times they best fit the bill.

All that said, my favorite combo Is a Marlin 1894s, and S&W 657 mountain gun in .41 magnum.
I would not pick a .41 Magnum Leaver gun or an old wheel gun. #1 Ammo is rare # 2 Leaver gun is slow and cumbersome. a 41 caliber wheel gun and a .41 caliber leaver gun is a poor choice 9MM is a common popular round in great abundance you can carry more of it. Most military and Police carry 9mm. I have been in Ground Combat and have found the 9mm Pistol Caliber Rifle and 9mm pistol to work well in close quarters out to 200 meters. I served 20 years as a Combat Infantryman and this is my choice because of its combat firepower even in semi-auto you can accurately engage the target with overwhelming firepower. Cleaning can be done with a common brake cleaner and gasoline.

• Haha
Reactions: 40nascar and LMB

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I love my PCC....it's a Marlin camp 9 carbine and it shares magazines with the Smith&Wesson 5900/6900 series pistols.
Although my Ruger mini 14 is a better bug out rifle. I will keep the Marlin for home defense ? and give it to my wife or daughter to use. In the meantime it is a fantastic plinking gun for target practice.
Amazing how popular these PCC's have become. the Rugers/Kel tecs/hi points are selling like hotcakes at fat camp😁
The Marlin camp 9 is a nice choice 9mm ammo is common and in great abundance, most police and military carry 9mm. Pistol caliber carbines are combat-proven a leaver gun and a wheel gun is an idiotic & poor choice.

Reactions: mrmike7189 and LMB

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My brother loves the 41 magnum but it getting very hard to find. I hope you are reloading them.
Very hard to find ammo and it's a poor choice! .22 LR is a better choice than an old large-caliber Leaver gun & Revolver Combo 41 magnum ammo is in low abundance even before the Hoarding began.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would not pick a .41 Magnum Leaver gun or an old wheel gun. #1 Ammo is rare # 2 Leaver gun is slow and cumbersome. a 41 caliber wheel gun and a .41 caliber leaver gun is a poor choice 9MM is a common popular round in great abundance you can carry more of it. Most military and Police carry 9mm. I have been in Ground Combat and have found the 9mm Pistol Caliber Rifle and 9mm pistol to work well in close quarters out to 200 meters. I served 20 years as a Combat Infantryman and this is my choice because of its combat firepower even in semi-auto you can accurately engage the target with overwhelming firepower. Cleaning can be done with a common brake cleaner and gasoline.
The 9mm is definitely the way to go. It has served around the world for over 100 yrs now!

·
Registered
108 Posts
The Marlin camp 9 is a nice choice 9mm ammo is common and in great abundance, most police and military carry 9mm. Pistol caliber carbines are combat-proven a leaver gun and a wheel gun is an idiotic & poor choice.
The Camp Carbine is a poor choice for a couple reasons:

1) It is Obsolete. Marlin is out of business , and doesn't make parts and magazines for this firearm.

2) It is more delicate than other 9mm PCC'S in its class, because of cheaply made internal parts that break and need replacement on a fairly frequent basis.

3) It uses magazines from the S&W model 59 pistol, which is also obselete. S&W no longer makes the magazines, so your limited to existing mags, or marginal quality aftermarket magazines

·
Registered
96 Posts
DISAGREE.. parts are available from Numrich. I own literally EVERY replacement part to rebuild the gun excepet for the receiver and barrell. (All the internal parts are still available today.) It has only one delicate part..the buffer . Aftermarket buffers are $13 and last for 5k rounds. If it was so delicate it would not have a cult following lasting over 30 years?
As for S&W magazines, they are for sale everywhere and mec gar makes brand new ones still to this day. (I would not call Mec gar marginal quality)
Watch this video and you will see it makes an EXCELLENT bug out gun in 9mm.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I still think the Ruger PCC is the better and more practical firearm. And it's also made in .40 cal. The use of Glock mags is the frosting on the cake for the Ruger.
I would agree that the mini 14 is a better bugout gun, and the Marlin a plinker.

·
Registered
108 Posts
[pinker.
Very hard to find ammo and it's a poor choice! .22 LR is a better choice than an old large-caliber Leaver gun & Revolver Combo 41 magnum ammo is in low abundance even before the Hoarding began.
Yeah, my 5 yr old Henry, or 30 yr old Marlin, and 20 yr old S&W stainless Mountain gun, all with less than 100 rnds each thru them might be too old and worn out to be survival guns. And 1000 rnds, and reloading supplies to reload 1000 more might not be enough!

Is it OK, if I also take my takedown Ruger 10/22 and Walther/Smith pistol? Or am I only allowed one long gun and handgun each?

IMHO, the most likely reason for me to "Bug Out", would be a weather or fire event. Not likely it would be a military style shoot out situation.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes, a 9mm PCC is fine. It's just that the Obsolete Marlin wouldn't be my 1st choice ( or 2nd, or 3rd)

Ruger, Beretta, Tabor would place ahead of the "Camp " 9mm.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Camp Carbine is a poor choice for a couple reasons:

1) It is Obsolete. Marlin is out of business , and doesn't make parts and magazines for this firearm.

2) It is more delicate than other 9mm PCC'S in its class, because of cheaply made internal parts that break and need replacement on a fairly frequent basis.

3) It uses magazines from the S&W model 59 pistol, which is also obselete. S&W no longer makes the magazines, so your limited to existing mags, or marginal quality aftermarket magazines
WRONG ! It's not Obsolete and parts are available but I own a Ruger PC 9 not a Camp 9 carbine.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts