The other day I looked at a used gp100 stainless with. A. 5 inch barrel

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by 22shooter, Sep 17, 2016.

1. 22shooter

22shooter New Member

Can,t locate this length in any books. Any one know if this is odd or not.

22 Shooter.

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I'm hardly an expert, but I think it was just another production run. Maybe 3" was too. There is probably more to it than whim... I just don't know.

Ruger has just "temporarily" stopped production of several '77slash' rifles, but others in the series haven't been produced in awhile, like the .22 Hornet.

3. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

The 5" GP100 - KGP-151 - was a contracted variation for Davidson's circa 2004. Reportedly, around 500 produced.

4. 22shooter

22shooter New Member

Blkhawk73
    Thanks for the info on the Gp100 5 inch
    22shooter

5. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

Never shot the 5inch, but owned the three inch. Great gun, just to heavy for all day carry. Could not imagine carrying a five inch all day.:cool:

6. BigDogJames

BigDogJames BigDogJames

Well did you make the purchase? The five inch GP100 although not rare, can be difficult to find at times. If you think it's a FAIR price, you will NOT be disappointed.

7. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

All depends on finding the right holster & belt. They both matter and make a big difference. They'e not all the same. Use a GOOD belt designed for holding the weight and that fits the user and use a GOOD holster that fits the user and that weight disappears.

8. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Sometimes it's hard to find the correct holster and belt for certain types of pistols. I had a good leather holster for my SR1911 however during the summer it would get hot and heavy. I went to a nylon holster and a 1 1/2" belt which I use most of the time. It has the strap over the trigger and a velcro band. It also has a mag holder on the front. I think the cost was about $20.00 and made by KNJ. Even though the SR1911 is a LW, it does get heavy on my belt. It is an outside the belt holster and I can feel the strain on my back after awhile. However I have a ruptured disc in my lower back to I am sensitive to the pain and it doesn't take much to make it strain. It's amazing how much 30 some ounces can become when you wear it all day. Take your time in locating the proper holster and don't be afraid to try different ones and make sure the fit is right to you and your pistol.

Tommy

9. BigDogJames

BigDogJames BigDogJames

All the above are true, about the right holsyer/belt combination. But be advised that a holster for the 5 inch may be difficult to find, as most are made for the 4 & 6 inch barrels.

10. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I'm sure there are reasonable arguments against using an 'open-end' 4.2" holster with a 5" gun. Just not sure what they are.

11. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Yeah but the 6" should work fine