Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know about monocular and binocular rangefinders. The newest generation not only give you the distance in yards or meters but hold correction for up and down angles in mils or MOA. Also many of the best LRF binoculars and a few LRF monoculars have as many as 10 pre-loaded cartridge "ballistic families" to chose from to get a ballpark hold recommendation.

So yeah, my Bushnell ARC 1 Mile range finding binoculars with an 8 cartridge family "library" give me a suggested "ballpark" hold-over and then I use my scope's "small Xmas tree" G3 reticle to hold for that elevation and my estimated windage. I compete with a larger H59 "Xmas tree" reticle so it's easy to do it with a simpler G3 reticle for hunting. But it's a bit slower than the process described below.

Now a few companies, notably SIG/SAUER, are producing rifle scopes and LRFs with Bluetooth communication between them. And they can also utilize the Bluetooth info from a Kestrel 5700 weather meter/ballistic engine for truly EXACT firing solutions for both elevation and windage not to mention temperature, station pressure, humidity and even compass heading for Corolis Effect compensation for very long shots on, say, antelope or coyotes. Naturally you have to enter exact rifle muzzle velocity, bullet weight, BC and CD to get this kind of accurate hold results but it is easily doable. And even without the Kestrel 5700 the SIG smart phone app will permit all your rifle info to be entered for a finer tuned hold-over than the ballistic library in the rangefinder or scope.

The SIG Sierra6 BDX (Ballistic Data Exchange) rifle scopes have 10 points on the vertical crosshair that can be lighted via Bluetooth communication from a Bluetooth-enabled rangefinder & or the Kestrel 5700. Also the horizontal crosshair has about 5 points that can be lighted for windage WHEN given Bluetooth windage data from a weather meter.
Further SIG gives us "LevelPlex", small triangles at each end of the horizontal crosshair that light when the scope is tilted too far in that direction, say left, for example. When the scope is once again level the left triangle will become unlighted. SO nice because you don't have to take your eye off the scope to check a bubble level!

All this technology can mean less wounded game when taken within reasonable distances. True, a few state game agencies have actually outlawed such LRF-to-scope communication but I think this new technology will be so widely accepted that it will win over these states' game managers. There is nothing "sporting" in having wounded game running about dangling a useless leg, etc. Better sighting solutions mean better shooting.

COMMENTS?

Eric B.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts