Ruger Talk Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is the most powerful 22 LR ammo? Theoretically the most powerful 22 LR round would combine the heaviest possible bullet and highest possible muzzle velocity. These would give the cartridge the highest possible muzzle energy, the raw measure of a round’s power.

The heaviest bullet you can find on a 22 LR weighs 60 grains. But as Aguila’s Sniper Subsonic round its muzzle velocity is only 950 fps, so its muzzle energy is a mere 120 ft lbs. also the Aguila .22LR Interceptor 40 grain ""SOLID POINT is the fastest 40 grain solid point on the market at 1470 fps its 35 fps faster than the CCI Velocitor 40 grain " HOLLOW POINT ".

The highest muzzle velocity you can get from a 22 LR is 1,850 fps. This is CCI’s COPPER-22 round, but its bullet weighs only 21 grains – nearly half the average weight for its caliber. That lightning fast muzzle velocity only gives so light a bullet a muzzle energy of 160 ft lbs!

Currently the 22 LR ammo that strikes the best balance of bullet weight and muzzle velocity to achieve the greatest power is CCI’s Stinger 22 LR Ammo. This round has a 32 grain CPHP bullet loaded to a muzzle velocity of 1,640 fps. The hyper-velocity Stinger cartridge boasts a whopping 191 ft lbs of muzzle energy. It furthermore remains supersonic past 75 yards, so it delivers an impressively flat trajectory. Shoot a squirrel with a Stinger and it’ll stay shot.
But CCI’s Stinger isn’t necessarily the best choice for self-defense. For self-defense you would want a heavier bullet that retains the requisite momentum for deeper penetration. To that end CCI’s Velocitor cartridge serves better against human-sized threats. Its 40 grain CPHP bullet is loaded to a muzzle velocity of 1,435 fps for a muzzle energy of 183 fps. Not quite the Stinger’s power level, but the Velocitor heavier expanding bullet has a greater chance of penetrating to a depth where it can find a vital organ.

With this information in mind, now you can make a more informed decision and answer, “what is the most powerful .22 LR ammo?” We’ll give you a few good examples of some popular categories, to begin with, and it’ll be up to you to do the research/shooting and figure out the best .22 LR round for your needs.

Other 22 LR Picks:
The 22 LR is one of the smallest rifle and pistol cartridges on the market. Its low recoil, soft report, limited power, and accessible price tag have all helped to make it one of the most popular rounds in the world. Optimal for target shooting, plinking, and varmint hunting, essentially anyone with functional arms can enjoy shooting the 22 LR.

In simple terms, a longer barrel will increase the accuracy of the rifle. The reason for this is because the inside of the barrel has helical lands & grooves called “rifling” that causes the bullet to spin. The spinning of the bullet creates gyroscopic stability, which means that it flies straighter.
To get a sense of this difference, I fired my Ruger LCP II .22LR with a short barrel along with My Ruger 10/ 22 LR rifle with a 18.5″ barrel. The same ammo gave ME very different results.

Ruger LCP II .22 Lr Ruger 10/22 Rifle (18.5″)
940 fps 1219 fps
955 fps 1161 fps
957 fps 1201 fps
932 fps 1218 fps
893 fps 1227 fps
944 fps 1204 fps
937 fps 1228 fps
957 fps 1192 fps
964 fps 1225 fps
1000 fps 1302 fps

You can see in my testing, the longer barrel gave us about a 263 foot per second higher muzzle velocity than the LCP II .22 LR. In this case, it came out to be about 28% difference, which we believe is quite significant.
However, there is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to the length of the barrel. Too long of a barrel and too much of the forward momentum will be converted into angular momentum and the bullet will lose velocity. Typical velocities for .22 LR range between 1000-1600 feet/second, and it depends on a variety of factors including barrel length, ammunition grain weight, etc.

While .22 LR isn’t known for its overwhelming power, the right round in the hands of an experienced shooter can be very effective. Typically, .22 LR is used for teaching, target practice, or small game hunting; however, it has been used to accomplish a very impressive feat. In 1953, Bella Twin was credited with taking down a world record grizzly bear with a single-shot .22 rifle. There are a few factors that will influence the performance and power of the round and they include barrel length, action type, and load type. For a baseline perspective, the .22 LR is generally effective up to 150 yards but is much more effective at less. With distances over 100 yards, the ballistics of the bullet makes it difficult to account for the drop at that distance.

22 Long Rifle Bullet Drop
Category Bullet Weight (Gr.) Muzzle Velocity (fps) Velocity at 100 Yards (fps) Bullet Drop at 100 Yards
Subsonic 29 770 682 -15.1 inches
Standard-Velocity 40 1150 974 -6.4 inches
High-Velocity 40 1255 1016 -5.5 inches
Hyper-Velocity 40 1435 1084 -4.3

MY RUGER 10/22

MY RUGER LCP .22 LR

·
Registered
103 Posts
But CCI’s Stinger isn’t necessarily the best choice for self-defense. For self-defense you would want a heavier bullet that retains the requisite momentum for deeper penetration.
So, a centerfire cartage with projectiles that are actually designed for defending your life and not hunting rabbits and squirrels...

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So, a centerfire cartage with projectiles that are actually designed for defending your life and not hunting rabbits and squirrels...
0311 We are talking about Rimfire .22LR only not centerfire .I suggest YOU read the entire post to include the title The Most Powerful 22 LR " 40 grain HOLLOW POINT "Ammo you will see its not about center fire and I thought you could actually could read.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Best .22 LR ammo for target shooting – Federal Gold Medal 40gr LS" Is this the choice of top competing Benchrest Shooters? Metallic silhouette shooters? Olympic competitors?
Yes it is and its one of the rounds I tested and it's listed in my recommendations above for target shooting .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts