The heat is on! Come fry eggs!

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Tommycourt, May 31, 2016.

1. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Well up til now we have had decent weather for Az. however the heat is coming and coming soon. I wanted to get as many .45 cals. loaded as soon as possible so I don't have to load when it hits 115 degrees. It looks like I won't have to because the weather said it would only be 112 degrees on Friday and "slightly" warmer on Saturday. Usually when June hits it starts everything to sizzle including our range. I try to keep about 3000 rounds on hand during the summer but am down to about 1000. I have to bring my primers inside along with the rest of my loading materials. Whatever the ambient temp is outside, you can add another 3-4 degrees as my loading room is on the west side of the house. Another year of "midnight" loading and sleeping during the day. Talk about a biological clock getting screwed up. I feel sorry for you Texicans who have all the rain, but if you can, send some of it up here. I have a swamp cooler however am hesitant to use it when pouring powder.

I know, when you think you have it bad, there are others who have it worse so I should shut up and just be thankful of what we got. Like we say in Az. if you don't make it to heaven and have to go the other way, take a jacket along, the climate will be cooler.

Tommy:violin:

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Your right about others having it worse.

Texas is getting hammered with flooding.
    Your getting extreme heat(to me its extreme).

I am only slightly uncomfortable today ,it hit 90 degrees, but the humidity is near 80%..

Me and my bad heart dont like that.
    So I stay inside.

Most of my outside activity is gonna be trimmed down.

Jim

Last edited: May 31, 2016

3. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

Down here in Tucson it is only supposed to reach 108 degrees on Friday, but I have AC.:D

4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

The a/c fan in my Impala decided not to come on today. That figures with June upon us now.
    This is a must fix priority.
    Geeze it is pouring rain again.

5. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Rain in AZ?

Hey Tommy,
    We would be glad to send you some rain, but you DON'T want the kind of rain we've been getting.
    Two ~ three inches and you folks float away with flooding in that desert.
    Can't imagine what our type of rain would do to you. :eek:

Yeah buster it's raining again!!!
    Was hoping to dig out for concrete forms Wed........ probably not gonna happen.
    Today I decided, if it doesn't rain, I could get some ground work done. It's raining! Cruuuuddddd.

6. buster40c

Here in Houston area because of the humidity along with the scorching sun we have poached eggs in the summer.

7. Reloader54

Reloader54 Reloader54

I live in Tempe, AZ. and they're forecasting 112 on Friday. And Sunday I'm running a shooting match. So I'm going to be out in the heat for around 4-5 hours or until the match is over with. And I do reload ammo in the heat. The room I use do have an AC/Heater unit in the wall so I can keep cool. And I do go shooting when it's in the 100 plus temps as well. I just drink a lot of fluids when I'm doing it. Also I never have problems getting a shooting spot. The range is empty. I also go to in the mornings before the heat hits as well.

8. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Jeff,
    Like you said, it's nice not to have a full range and finish up earlier. Take a gallon of frozen water and a wet towel and my the time the water starts to thaw, the towel will need the water to put on the back of your neck. Last year I had to do a welding job and it was 113 degrees and I froze some water and wetted the towel, put on a wet dew rag and the sweat still fell inside of my welding helmet. I spent about 4 hours working and I should have had my head examined because I was shot when I got done. I won't do that again!!! Folks who don't live out here don't realize how much the sun can affect you as we haven't had a chance to get used to the heat. It just blew in with little or no warning! Take care buddy and have a good shoot. I was gonna work on the bed of my Model A truck but that just hit the back burner for this week-end.

Best of luck,

Tommy

9. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Wow, another memory popped up and smacked me. Uncle Earl's Model A pickup - Cousin Lyle and I sitting in the back, legs hanging off, riding up West Hill Road to the farm. Seems like I can hear the engine now.

Thanks Tommy. You are a Memory Magician.

10. buster40c

The sound from a Model A engine is music to my ears. I even like it more than the Harley sound.
    Because of all this rain our temps aren't around 90* like they normally are this time of year. Yeah you guys in AZ can keep those 110+*. I figure any place that the outside temp is just under what my water heater temp is is not enjoyable.

11. Reloader54

Reloader54 Reloader54

Tommy,
    I do take something to drink whenever I go to the range. I use to be a Race Official with the SCCA and I've learned how to deal with the heat issue. The range that I use for my match does have cover on it. So people are able to get out of the sun. There is also water for the shooters to drink as well. And I keep reminding them to drink plenty of water. And if someone does get a heat issue then I make sure that they get in side and in AC as well. The clubs office is only 50 yards away for where the match is held. So that is where they will go and the person that runs the office I'll have keep an eye on them to make sure that they're alright.