Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As reported here, I inadvertently released my LCR 'into the wild' a month or so ago. Today I decided to replace it with a Charter Arms Police Undercover.

It will shoot the .38 Special +P ammo I had gathered for the LCR. The grip on this Police model is longer than the grip on the LCR (room for all three fingers), so I plan to carry it on the hip instead of in a pocket. It weighs 20oz. unloaded, 2.9oz. more than the LCR 357. Six shots instead of five, so there's the weight of one more round; and the presence of one more round to compensate.

As all of you have guessed by now, the childlike anticipation of The New Gun has already begun.

:D

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Good choice.
I'm feeling that 'new gun giddy childlike Christmas morning anticipation feeling' myself right now as I just picked up my lower receiver. I get to start building now!

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Sorry I cant relate any good or bad intelligence about your new Charter arms 38 special to ya VT,

Mine is a 44 special Charter Arms, Bulldog to be exact,.
GREAT revolver, I have shot the living crap out of it, even used it for my CCW for a span of a few years.
Never ever had any problems with it, and it shoots where you aim it.

bulldog 1.jpg

bulldog.jpg

I just am a 1911 freak. ;):)

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
What caliber does shooting a 44 special compare to? Is it similar to a 38+P or similar to a 357 mag?

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
I haven't researched the ballistics comparison, but I put it about half way between 38 +p and .357 mag, maybe leaning a little closer to .357.

Stronger than 38+p but not quite as strong as .357 mag.

Bigger bullet....:duck:;)

That's just my experience , no ballistics ....

Jim

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
It has been over 30 years since I shot a 44 and I don't even know if it was magnum or a special round. I do remember one shot with it was enough for me. I remember my friend telling me that it could bust an engine block. I thought it was a hand cannon. I think I shot a 41 once that same day. I am a wussy and don't care for those big guns. Hah if I had shot 357 mag in my LCR that same day I probably would have thought the same about it.

So VT when are you going to get the Charter? Your LCR just might show up after you get the new gun. Fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It has been over 30 years since I shot a 44 and I don't even know if it was magnum or a special round. I do remember one shot with it was enough for me. I remember my friend telling me that it could bust an engine block. I thought it was a hand cannon. I think I shot a 41 once that same day. I am a wussy and don't care for those big guns. Hah if I had shot 357 mag in my LCR that same day I probably would have thought the same about it.

So VT when are you going to get the Charter? Your LCR just might show up after you get the new gun. Fingers crossed.
Ordered it from Davidson's yesterday. Probably will take possession next Saturday. I'd love to have the LCR again. It would make a better ankle gun, being lighter and having a shorter grip. The Charter will be carried in a belt holster, an alternative to the SR40c - that is if I like it that way. I am so familiar with the SR40c now...

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had a Ruger Vaquero .44 Magnum, just to see what it was like. It didn't bother me (out of that gun), but with no lions, tigers, or bears nearby I just don't see a need for that caliber.

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
44 Special is more like the 45 Colt, well proven man stoppers without busting your wrist.;)

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So it's Saturday, and I took possession of the new gun. Before doing so, I checked it for the manufacturing defects I had read about online; there are none.

I've been sitting here studying the gun, and making comparisons with my Smith&Wesson Model 10 and, though it's much bigger and stronger, the Ruger GP100MC.

The first thing I noticed on the Charter Arms was sharp edges; they are everywhere. Clearly there is no 'edge-breaking' operation during the manufacturing process. The (stainless steel) frame and barrel exterior surfaces are not polished, they look like they are sand-blasted - so edges don't get rounded during polishing either.

The Police Undercover frame is larger than a J-frame S&W's, but smaller than a K-frame. At 20 ounces, it is lighter than the Smith Model 10 too. Not all of that difference is from frame size and barrel length (S&W 3", CA 2.2"). The CA has been designed with less metal 'meat' in several places where that could be done safely. [The CA does not have the side plate like the S&W does, which may allow for some metal trimming in the side walls.]

Functionally, there is one significant difference between the CA and the other two guns: The double action trigger pull stacks - a lot. This stacking begins at the point when the cylinder starts to turn, and is pretty much the same from that point until the hammer falls. This phenomenon is not evident in the other two guns. I have no good explanation for the stacking, but it is obvious that the pawl is closer to the cylinder's center, and so has less leverage to work with.

SA trigger action is a bit rough but certainly usable, and should smooth out some with use. [the DA trigger actions in the Ruger and S&W are good and quite similar. The S&W has by far the smoother (and shorter) SA action).

I expect the Charter Arms Police Undercover to be reasonably concealable in a belt holster under light loose clothing.

It's going to be a few weeks before I take the gun to the range (winter has returned). I anticipate satisfaction with the gun shooting SA, but the DA action may be too much of a hindrance to accuracy. We shall see.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Good report,

Yep, that CA is a useable handgun, I never had any problems outta mine,
But it is not as refined as the S&W or Ruger,

But the money aint there either.

Let us know how it shoots.

Jim

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Good report. For me the trigger action in DA makes or breaks a revolver for me. The LCR trigger action is a spoiler for sure.
Looking forward to your shooting report. Pics of the target would be good to see,

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Sounds good. How much does it weigh?

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds good. How much does it weigh?
20 ounces empty. The company says it's built on the Bulldog frame - the Bulldog also weighs ~20 ounces. So... It's pretty much a .38 Special version of the Bulldog.

The owner's manual tells us not to use +P ammo, though the gun can handle it. Says the short (2.2") barrel means that what you mostly get is extra noise and recoil and unburned powder. Interesting concept. :)

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
20 ounces empty. The company says it's built on the Bulldog frame - the Bulldog also weighs ~20 ounces. So... It's pretty much a .38 Special version of the Bulldog.

The owner's manual tells us not to use +P ammo, though the gun can handle it. Says the short (2.2") barrel means that what you mostly get is extra noise and recoil and unburned powder. Interesting concept. :)
I have heard that about the short barrel and +P and magnum ammo being a waste of money shooting from short barrels. That explains the flash when shooting the high power ammo from short barrels.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I really liked my Charter Arms Undercover. Mine was not the Police Undercover. I let my daughter trade me a 45 acp for it because she liked the revolver better. Pizzed me off when she sold it a few months later and bought a 9mm.

I really wanted the Pit Bull in 45 acp, but in the end decided I would rather have moon clips than the little nubs the Pit bulls have. I understand that Charter is planning a Bulldog in 45 Colt on the 45 Pit Bull frame. I hope so, looks like the cylinder will accept the length of the 45 Colt. I'll wait for one of those.

Looking forward to your range report.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really liked my Charter Arms Undercover. Mine was not the Police Undercover. I let my daughter trade me a 45 acp for it because she liked the revolver better. Pizzed me off when she sold it a few months later and bought a 9mm.

I really wanted the Pit Bull in 45 acp, but in the end decided I would rather have moon clips than the little nubs the Pit bulls have. I understand that Charter is planning a Bulldog in 45 Colt on the 45 Pit Bull frame. I hope so, looks like the cylinder will accept the length of the 45 Colt. I'll wait for one of those.

Looking forward to your range report.
I'm looking forward to that range session too. Going by Accuweather, it will be some time after the 20th. 10 yards using the sights followed by 7 yards point-and-shoot. The latter procedure may be the only way that DA mode can be effective. That stack-up is stuck in my mind; I wonder if it is normal for that model. Maybe I will write a descriptive note to CA with that question.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I don't remember my Undercover stacking, but it had a very light single action trigger. Light enough I sent it back! Imagine that, complaining because something is too good!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts