that itch again

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by buster40c, Jan 14, 2016.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Dang if I don't have a bad itch again and really wonder if I can keep from scratching it.
    I have been wanting a S&W revolver for some time now and I think I have found what may be the scratch for that itch. I was looking at used S&W revolvers on the gun sites but most were around the cost of a new gun and some even more than cost of a new gun.
    I received my weekly S&W forum email about the 627 Pro series eight shot 357. With further best price locating I found least price with freight was $850 plus FFL making it $875. Most other prices were quite a bit over $1200 just for the gun. My latest ffl/gunsmith who said give him a call for pricing if I was to buy another gun gave me a price of $850 plus tax = $920. He said that price was 10% over his cost. I think I will go with my ffl if I decide to scratch the itch.
    Now comes the sleep on it time.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Or "lose sleep" on it...

Which is usually why I scratch so much.:teehee:

Jim

3. buster40c

LOL I might as well spend that grand in the safe before it isn't worth the paper its made of. I am not doing a good job of beating temptation am I?

4. phideaux

No.... you are not..

Its only paper with greenish ink....
    Life is so much more.....enjoy it as much as possible..

I'm trying to help keep you from losing sleep...:)

Jim

5. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Buster,

If you have an itch you either scratch it or get some baby oil and rub it on the itch. It's your choice!!!:spot:

Tommy

6. buster40c

Can I get some sweet babe to rub it for me? Shoot that might cost me a grand so the heck with that! With the gun I can shoot for years not minutes. I am so bad.

7. buster40c

Well I slept on it and in the morning I checked the safe to be sure I hadn't spent the gun money. It is still there. 9 am I got a call from my other LGS I use most and they have the best price saving me around $30 after TTL. over the previous best price quote.
    So the question now is not did he fire 5 or 6 rounds but rather did he fire 7 or 8 rounds. 8 rounds of 357 to make a BG's day go from bad to worse. I should have it next week sometime.
    This random pic I found on the web. Check out that holy cylinder.

Attached Files:

8. phideaux

Nice...
    That's a lot of firepower..

Jim

9. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

That's a lot of bullets in that cylinder. I would think you would consider your health first. With that bad knee, and all the extra weight in the cylinder, it could drag you to the ground and permanatley re-injure your knee so then you can't walk at all. I think you need to do some soul searching before you decide to buy it. Just MHO is all. I am concerned only about your health and well being.

Tommy

10. buster40c

Just MHO is all! Yeah right Tommy. You are always thinking of my soul searching. LOL
    I ain't so old and weak that I can't hold up 47 oz. Well not yet anyway!

11. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

:melikey:
    Nothing like an eight shot six shooter. If the BG is counting the shots you fire.... You're OK!!! Cause everybody knows revolvers hold six rounds.
    Almost negates the need for a double stack auto loader. Maybe I should look into one of those. (I have trust issues with semi autos).:gaah:
    Can't remember the last time my revolver stovepiped, jammed or failed to feed. ;)
    At a boy buster, congrats. :D

12. buster40c

Well I got the S&W 627 pro today. The only thing I like about it over the GP100 M/C is the 8 round cylinder. The M/c trigger action IMO is better, with what I can tell the M/C is about 2 lbs lighter pull on DA. I also believe the SA trigger is a hair better than the S&W. M/C looks much nicer and actually feels better in my hand even though the big N frame S&W is only 3 oz heavier. M/C 2.5 lbs empty--S&W 2.8 lbs. empty.
    Hope to shoot both tomorrow for comparison if weather is good.

13. phideaux

Id like to hear how you compare the 2 in shooting.

Jim

btw, being the non-addict that I am.....I came across a like new BFR in 45-70 , at a Pawn shop yesterday.:cool:

14. buster40c

Here are the results. From about 27'. Overall no doubt the guns are all more accurate than I am as a shooter.
    2nd pic is shooting with butt only rested and in single action. 1st target is the Python, 2nd is the M/C, 3rd is the 627. Python wins.
    The trigger on the Python really doesn't allow me to pull to one side it is that frigging light. For some reason I mostly shoot the M/C low. I shoot the 627 better than the MC.

The 1st pic is standing free handed DA. 1st target is the 627 with all 8 within 1st ring. Between 1st and second target is the first try 6 with the Python then second try was much better on 2nd target with 5 grouping within 1st ring. 3rd target is the MC two tries and jeeze did I suck with it. I keep shooting the MC low for some reason. 627 wins.
    Before shooting I cleaned the 627 then oiled the heck out of it with my Wilson Combat ultra lube getting oil down into the trigger/hammer actions. This made big difference in trigger feel and is fairly equal to the MC now. But no way like the Python.

Surprisingly in double action I shot the best with the S&W. I did the worst all around with the MC. I just can't sight in the MC for some reason to get a good shot. It isn't the gun BTW.

I was using 38spl wad cutters and recoil.......what recoil? Really don't feel squat for recoil. I haven't tried the 357 mags but it sure should be very manageable.

So trigger action the winner is Python. MC and 627 the triggers are about a tie really.
    Feel in the hand/balance they all feel about equal but the Colt maybe on the top edge of the pile.
    Sights I would say goes to the SW.
    Appearance IMO Python then MC then SW.
    Accuracy results for me in SA would be the Colt then SW then MC last because I most always shoot low with the dang thing.

Attached Files:

15. phideaux

Well that's a good report.

Im guessing by what you say, that the MC and the S&W are darn close in overall shooting. triggers, feel, etc.

I'm thinking about one or the other....I like the 8 shot capacity.

The colt will always be top gun, them things are really built .

Good shooting.

Jim

16. buster40c

I just saw a new MC at my LGS and the price was $689. Price on my 627 was $825. + tax on both of course.
    Some, very few, have been finding used 627s at good prices around $4-$500. LOL I only read about the guys that got them for those prices. Like those Corvettes in barns for $1200.
    I have to say those extra 2 rounds are nice. The 686 comes with 7 rounds now also and many just rave about the 686. The 686 is a prettier gun than the 627 IMO. 686 or 627 they both have their fan boys. I handled a 686 PC at my LGS and I didn't like the balance feel of it. The barrel seemed heavy. Check you LGS to see if he has some guns to fondle. I don't see a lot of revolvers at gun shows. Tables full of semi autos but not many revolvers to look at.
    BTW if you decide to go with the MC then you might go with the model with the adjustable rear sights.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016