that country gun shop - again

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by VThillman, Aug 25, 2015.

1. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Made another trip across the river to the Alstead Gun Shop, looking for powder. Picked up a bottle of Accurate #5, a bottle of Accurate #7, a bottle of Hodgdon Lil Gun, and - get this...

...a bottle of Alliant 2400! I now have a supply of Birdseye, Unique, 2400, H110 and IMR4227, every pistol powder I had back in my previous reloading existence in the late '70s/early '80s. Plus several other powders that look real good in the manuals.

Just one year ago I struggled mightily to find any pistol powder, finally locating some Vihtavuori 3N37. That powder is a broad spectrum cure for pistol reloader blues, but it leaves heat gaps. Now I am set. Set, I tell you!

:cheesy:

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I am glad you are a happy camper enjoying it all.

3. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Bob,
    Consider yourself very lucky! You can't find powder in Az to save your life. The only way for me to get ANY pistol powder is from my brother who is in Ca and coming over here this fall and my neighbor who lives in Oregon and is bringing me an 8lbs. keg of Bullseye powder in November when he returns to Az. Primers are hard to get also. I will NOT buy from Bass Pro as they jack the prices up on everything so high that you can't afford to even go there. Last time I had a chance to buy Bullseye powder from them was last year and they wanted $49.95 for a 1 lbs. can. They had only 6 cans left and some guy was here from Flagstaff and he bought 5 of the 6. I just hope the clerk stopped him from hoarding all the powder but @ $50.00 a can, he can have it!
    Tommy

4. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Tommy, I do consider myself lucky. I expect to have a good time reloading this winter. Finding those Accurate powders - and the 2400 - was great. And the guy manning the counter today was an old ex-coworker/friend I hadn't seen in nearly 20 years. A great day all around.

$50/lb for Bullseye! Alstead charges $25.95 per pound for Bullseye. The Lil'Gun was $26.95/lb. Bass Pro must be one of those 'sharp business practice' outfits. That old friend says pistol powder is beginning to show up at the distributors again, so don't lose hope. Just veer away from Bass Pro, eh?

5. oldschoolfool

oldschoolfool In the army now..

Try Cabela's, Midway Shooter's Supply & Natchez- I've had modest success at each, buying enough so the hazmat shipping charge isn't bad when all is said and done- some of it even on sale!

6. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Powder Valley and bullets.com also. 4 lbs may be the lowest practical order because of the hazmat. I usually ordered primers at the same time. The problem is they may only have one 'interesting' powder, say HS-6 for instance, and I'd need to convince myself that I would use 4 pounds of it.

7. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Bob,

I guess it would depend on how many 9mm rounds and shotgun rounds you would be firing. I haven't shot a shotgun in such a long time that I don't remember what it feels like. 4lbs. keg is a lot of powder to use. My neighbor from Oregon is bringing me back an 8lbs. keg of Bullseye this November and believe it or not, I will shoot that many rounds. I am guessing but I figure that will load almost 10k rounds. I also have a 9mm which I rarely shoot. Primers I can buy at my local Ace Hardware store which is cheaper than running all the way down to Sportsman's Warehouse and they are only a buck more on 1K primers which I would spend more in gas. When the SHTF I want to be ready, and I really think in a couple of years things could get bad! I am not paranoid, just being a realist. Good luck whatever choice you make.

Tommy

8. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Luck me, I just called a reloading / gun shop close to me looking for Win 231 powder. He said , just sold the last 4 bottles of 231.
    (That's not the lucky part.)
    So I asked about about Hodgdon's HP-38, we got a good supply of that. (That's the lucky part.) And price? $22.95 per pound.

According to Hodgdon's data and what I've been told, those two powders are the same.
    Does anyone have personal experience using both powders to back up the notion that both 231 & HP-38 are the same?
    Going over tomorrow to score me some powder.

9. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Zero personal experience - but Hodgdon says they are the same.