Ruger Talk Forums banner

That calming feeling you get...

4K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  JohnR 
#1 ·
When you have a nice range session. :)

Only 50 rounds of .38 Special through my 2 1/4" SP101, and I wasn't as accurate as I'd like to be, but a certain amount of stress and tension has evaporated from my body.

I also checked out a GP100 .22LR at the LGS and I'm pretty sure that will be my next purchase.

#6 ·
Quote from Buster:
I usually want a cigarette after a good shooting.
When I get done shooting, especially after a good day, our range has a designated smoking area outside of the building with chairs and ashtrays. I will usually sit, relax and just enjoy the day and thankful for the opportunity I just had. Nothing like shooting to relieve stress and tension.

Tommy

#7 ·
I don't play golf, but I found a trip to the driving range works well also. I was Quality Assurance Manager for a mobile home plant. I would get so mad at times that I would take the one club that I kept in my truck, stop by the GM's office and tell him "I'll be back", and go SMASH a bucket of balls! I'd come back feeling some better. A few times the GM would go with me. That was a high stress job! Probably cause I'm a perfectionist!

#10 ·
I don't play golf, but I found a trip to the driving range works well also. I was Quality Assurance Manager for a mobile home plant. I would get so mad at times that I would take the one club that I kept in my truck, stop by the GM's office and tell him "I'll be back", and go SMASH a bucket of balls! I'd come back feeling some better. A few times the GM would go with me. That was a high stress job! Probably cause I'm a perfectionist!
Ooh! A friend works part-time as a warranty 'fixer' for a mobile home builder in North Charlestown, NH. He says that plant focuses on getting them built and sold, and sends the 'fixers' out later.

#11 ·
Buster,

My hands shake whether I shoot or not but if I could afford it, I would find a range with metal targets and moving targets and shoot 500 rounds just to get calmed down. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind punching paper but some metal targets would be more fun and especially moving targets. My hands shake enough I could probably hit all the moving targets and none of the metal ones. :dunno:

Tommy

#13 ·
Fun shooting for me is when I shoot at tin cans with a S/A revolver out to about 40~50 yd.
I even hit some of them! :D You can really make them 'fly' if you hit just under the can.

Therapeutic shooting is when I lay out on the bench concentrating so hard on the next shot that nothing else can enter my mind.
Ahhh, therapy.

The same holds true for when I'm out revving the snot out of my hot-rod motorcycle.
Nothing else is on your mind....
Probably kinda like smashing golf balls. (Just a guess, I've never smashed a golf ball).

#14 ·
If you want to try to copy the adrenaline rush you get before shooting a deer, drink 5 cups of coffee and do 50 push ups before shooting at a paper plates offhand at 50 yards.

Try ignoring the strange looks people give you when you do the push-ups and coffee chugging [emoji6] [emoji106]

#15 ·
Savage,

Quote from Savage:
If you want to try to copy the adrenaline rush you get before shooting a deer, drink 5 cups of coffee and do 50 push ups before shooting at a paper plates offhand at 50 yards.

Try ignoring the strange looks people give you when you do the push-ups and coffee chugging

_
Savage,
Where do you shoot at where you can drink all that coffee and do push up? We have a nice range but no cafeteria or gym.
:dunno::jawdrop:YANK**********YANK***********YANK**************!!!!!!!!

Tommy

#17 ·
^^exactly! I actually first read something similar in a field and stream magazine about the coffee and push ups. Still haven't tried it yet.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.