Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today of all days became a very sad day for Texas DPS trooper. The trooper stopped a vehicle made contact with the driver and when the trooper returned to his patrol unit the driver shot the trooper several times with a rifle killing the trooper. The killer was located about 5 miles from where I live. He exchanged gunfire with law enforcement but he was shot and apprehended. It was reported the shooting was not life threatening.
The killer needs to have his own life taken from him. I wish these killers would take their first shot on themselves instead of innocent people. May the trooper's family, friends and fellow officers have strength to get through this hard time.

You never know who might try using your home as a get away from the law. A man hunt started in front of my house a few weeks ago and now this just miles from my house just makes me realize the need to have a gun. Perhaps this killing will cause some changes in that a trooper never takes his eyes off of a person being stopped for anything. Perhaps the driver hand handcuffed to the steering wheel might have saved this troopers life. I suppose that action would be so shot down by the criminal protection laws.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/suspect-in-shooting-on-texas-state-trooper-spotted-in-waller-county

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I am usually not at a loss for words. My reaction to this report is mostly words that RT forbids.

. . . Both hands TieWrapped to the steering wheel, until bindings that self release after 15 minutes are generally available to law enforcement.

. . . Nope, I am still Pissed and Disgusted.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
I don't know what is going on in this country anymore. It used to be when you got stopped you would answer "yes sir or no sir".
We had respect for the law even though we might have been speeding or running a light. Today, stopping someone for a violation has become a dangerous duty. My one son just retired from law enforcement after serving 28 yrs and he said that they are becoming more hesitant in normal duty stops, however it's still part of the job. When writing a summons you are concentrating on the violators license and your ticket book and it takes your attention away from the violator. It only takes a second for someone to grab a gun and then you are done for. The gun could be behind the violators back.

Tommy

·
Registered
992 Posts
I haven't been pulled over in quite a while, and never while carrying. I spoke with the sheriff's office about what is the best procedure to make the officer feel comfortable and ensure everyone's safety. They told me to speak calm and evenly, inform the officer of any weapons (including knives) and for the love of God keep your hands in plain sight, either on the wheel or on the windowsill if the window is all the way down. The last thing any of these officers want to see is quick movement of the driver's or passenger's hands. Stories like this guy in Texas must put a cop's nerves on high alert. I don't want to give them gray hair and I certainly don't want them to draw on me and turn what hair I've got left any grayer...their job is tough enough as it is...

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Yes, it is a sad thing. Prayers for the officer's wife & family.

One officer's murder in Alice, Tx.was recently solfved after more than 40 years. It happened 40 miles north of here and has had the area LEOs looking for leads for many years. It was a similar situation with the officer being shot with t .22 at a traffic top in the wee hours of the morning, 1974 IIRC. From the reports an inmate in another state reported that another inmate had told him the story of how he had got away with this murder. The guy was already serving a life sentence and is now 70 years old. Well, maybe they should shorten his prison stay by executing him and saving the taxpaers a fw dollar.

Not sure if the guy has actually been charged yet. The story just came up on the news a week ago. There have always been news stories in the area about the progess of the investigation over the years.

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
I was recently stopped while carrying, I handed the officer my ccw permit with my license. He asked me where it was and I told him on my right hip. He just asked me to keep my hands from that area. No problem.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I was recently stopped while carrying, I handed the officer my ccw permit with my license. He asked me where it was and I told him on my right hip. He just asked me to keep my hands from that area. No problem.
Jeez, I dunno; if a BG told the officer that, the gun would maybe be somewhere else.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am left handed and carry left side and my wallet is in left rear pocket. I think it might be wise for me to put my wallet in right side pocket so it is opposite side of my gun.
I read that more LEO are killed in traffic stops than by any other ways. I heard also an officer puts his hand on the car he has stopped to leave his finger prints on the car in case things go bad.
I got stopped once for speeding coming out of Austin. I thought I was in a 55 mph area but I wasn't. I opened my rear slide window and driver side window and put my hands out each window so the cop could see I wasn't any threat to him. It must have worked because I only got a warning rather than a ticket.

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
It would depend on how alert the officer was, my plates say Veteran as does my DL. Still on the ticket he marked didn't ask.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts