Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Special Dance Instructor
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On this day 48 years ago a turning point in the Vietnam war started.
A little background for those who were too young or were on another planet.

link

http://www.dodlive.mil/index.php/2016/01/highlighting-history-how-tet-began-the-end-of-vietnam/

My company C co 1/22 Inf 4th Inf Div. was flown in by chopper to the airfield on the edge of the town of Kontum on 3 Feb 68.
Here's the story of the battle against a regiment plus in the city door to door.

http://charliecompany.org/battles/battle-of-kontum/

already had the 1,000 yard stare going in.

Some of the enemy gear we captured
Note the RPD machinegun lower left.

South Vietnamese soldier going in the opposite direction of where we were headed to the fighting.

Me in front of captured weapons.
Top right deceased enemy and the building was the scene of heavy fighting.

·
Special Dance Instructor
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wounded twice on 17 Nov 67 and once on this day in 68 and after about a month in the hospital was transferred to an MP company in Qui Nhon to serve the rest of my tour.
Quite a firefight just outside Kontum TET 68
Company C 1/22 INF was searching in the area to the northeast of the city, when on February 5
it met the North Vietnamese head-on:
" At 1:30 p.m., Company C encountered an enemy force about 1,500 meters south of Hill 684.
Suspecting that he had located at least part of the 24th PAVN Regiment, Junk reinforced Company C
with Company A and four M-48 tanks and began to call in artillery, airstrikes and gunships.The fighting lasted into the evening. By the time the North Vietnamese broke contact C co had lost 6 killed and 12 wounded.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
You infantry boys had it bad , that thing went on a lot longer than most people know. Months on end really.

Armor , had a target on it, but at least some metal wrapped around us,

Thank God for Diesel engines..;) 3rd Armored Calvary Regiment.

3rd herd.

Jim

·
Special Dance Instructor
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This building had a 51 cal and 2 RPD machine guns in it.
Took us a while to take it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts