Testing guns

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by conservative, Aug 25, 2016.

1. conservative

conservative New Member

Those who have seen my previous threads may know that I am a newcomer to the world of guns. I do not own a gun, have never trained with a gun, and do not have a license to carry. So with that in mind I was wondering if it is possible for me to go to a store with a range and test fire a prospective carry gun. I know a lot of people reccomend getting a blue gun to see what the weight is like or even a bb/pellet pistol to shoot inside a garage to build accuracy and shooting experience, but I do not have an empty garage in which to so that and I live in the city block surrounded by houses so the backyard is out as well. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

You need firearms safety instruction before you handle a loaded gun, so the at-the-store range is a not-so-good idea - unless the store has an instructor in house. The LGS may be a good place to find out where instruction is available though.

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

That is number 1.

Jim

4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Yep you need safety instruction first hand because a fired bullet can't be recalled and time can't be turned back. In the gun world an "oops" can be deadly and most definitely permanent. There are no do overs once the trigger is pulled.
    Read the post buying a gun 101 safety. https://www.rugertalk.com/forum/f4/buying-gun-safety-101-a-3819-new/

5. conservative

conservative New Member

Ok thanks for the info .

6. conservative

conservative New Member

Definition of LGS? Excuse my ignorance please.

7. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

+1 on getting some instructions from a pro. Also, if you have any friends who enjoy firearms, he or she would probably be glad to share advice. But be aware that not everyone has good advice to share! Learn the basic rules of gun safety. Experienced shooters who ignore those basics or who give advice that contradicts those basics should be avoided. And whenever you have a question don't be afraid to ask any of the Mods here. I can tell you that I believe every one of them will lead you down the right path.

8. conservative

conservative New Member

So I went to a local range and they want $50 for an hour or less of range time, gun rental ($5), and ammo and targets. Seems a little high. Thoughts?

9. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

$50 is really high for an hour. Any other ranges around?

10. conservative

conservative New Member

Well it's $12 for the time and $5 for the rental. The rest is ammo and targets. .

11. conservative

conservative New Member

Oh and it was $15 to rent for the day. There is one more range so gonna check that out . Thought if it wasn't too expensive than would test a few different calibers and guns to see which I like better.

12. phideaux

Money well spent.

Jim

13. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Oh. I misunderstood you. $50 for everything isn't bad. What guns do you plan on renting?

14. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Jim hit the nail right on the head! Listen to what he and others have said. Go to a class first!

Tommy

15. conservative

conservative New Member

Something in a .22 and a 9mm. Unfortunately, I can't pick a specific gun to rent just have to go with the ones they have.

16. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

^^^ I think you're doing it right. Let us know how it goes.

17. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I am going to stress this for the last time**********BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING - GO TO A CLASS!!!

Get some knowledge on firearms BEFORE you attempt to go to a range. 8 hours of classroom will teach you more than we can give you here on the thread. They have qualified instructors to teach beginners, the very basics of which you need. We can talk our selves til the cows come home but in a class room, they can teach you what we may have missed. We have no knowledge of which hand you will even use to fire. You will probably be able to handle a pistol and feel the heft of it and learn how to properly hold it. That's is the best I can recommend- GO TO A CLASS!

Tommy

18. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Don't know why I didn't think to say this before now.

THE FOUR RULES OF GUN SAFETY:

1) All guns are loaded at all times!

2) Never point a gun at something you do not want to destroy!

3) Do not put your finger on the trigger until it's time to shoot!

4) Be sure of your target and what is behind it!

If you stay true to these four rules you can't help but be safe.

Mag

19. phideaux

That has to be taught..^^^^

Ask all my grandkids , how many times we went over and over those rules.
    Now its instinct to them.

Jim