Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Interested in replacing my Taurus PT809. (Go ahead and bash, :) but I like the Taurus. I shoot it well and it has been reliable.)My issue with it is customer service and parts availability. They want you to send it in just for a new recoil spring, no thank you, I just want a spare!

My purpose for this firearm is plinking/range fun, informal 3 gun, and , hopefully never, home defense.

I have been reading what I can on both, the RAP and 9e. Part of me really likes the 9e better. I really do not care for a safety, especially one as small as on the 9e, but I guess I don't have to use it, and I absolutely hate the bladed triggers, although they seem to be new norm.

Then there is the part of me that likes the RAP. No safety, and the trigger is wide which I think negates some of my dislike of bladed triggers. I also like the disassembly / assembly better and the lack of a magazine disconnect.

So there's my dilemma. While I like the 9e better, aesthetically anyway. I like the features of the RAP better. Don't think I would be dissatisfied with either.

Just looking for opinions. Thanks!

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
I don't currently own either one, but there has been a lot of info pass thru here on both,

From what I read , both are very reliable, good shooters.
Like you say , a few different features.

Don't worry, bashing is more of leg pulling...;):)

I only met one or two guns I didn't like....I think.

Jim

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
You have to take some of what you see on U tube with a grain of salt. Saw a report on the 9e that said he could not keep it on the paper at 25 yards. I have no trouble keeping all rounds on the paper at 25 yards and a three inch group with 115 grain which is what Ruger tests them with. Like most guns they shoot better than their shooters. I do not have a ROA but have handled one but did not like the slide heavy feel. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Well greg,

I wouldn't be much help either. I don't have either of those. I'm still living inthe dark ages with the all stainless KP-89 & KP-90 semis. Kinda hard to give the old klunkers up cause they just keep on working.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cant rate the 9e but do have the RAP 9 and the compact. Really great guns in my opinion. Have carried the USP 40 and Glock 19 for years as a LEO but prefer the RAP

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I don't like the perceived bulk of the RAP. The 9E, being the economy version of the SR9, gets my vote. I've gotten used to the blade-in-trigger thing, and the mag disconnect has simple work-arounds for dealing with its presence.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the RAP full size and love it...sometimes it's whatever feels the best in your hand...see if u can find a gun shop with both of them so u can handle both....features matter little if gun feels wrong in ur hand..just my opinion :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts