Teaching the NEXT generation

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by artbrownsr, Sep 14, 2013.

1. artbrownsr

artbrownsr New Member

of shooters. I went out to my daughters house yesterday with a purpose. I went to give three of my grand kids Firearm Safety lessons. We had fun and they are looking forward to the next time!
    I just covered the first 4 basics a) the gun is ALWAYS loaded until YOU unload it ( If you see some one else unload it and they pass it to you, YOU make sure that weapon is unloaded) b) the muzzle must ALWAYS be pointed in a safe direction ( that does not mean always up or always down but away from harming anything or anyone within range of that weapon and associated ammunition.) c)only point it at something you want to destroy or kill. ( destroy as in self defense, kill as in hunt for food.) d) only put finger inside trigger guard when you are ready to shoot. Next lesson will include this and more

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Good job Art...!!

It up to this generation to pass on the skills and the love of the shooting sports to the next...

3. LT2108

LT2108 Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Nice work Grandpa !

Keep up the good work

4. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

I did the safety thing over a stretch of time. Wanted in much more engrained than just a "don't do this" list and then jump right into load and fire. Started it when he first seemed curious, about age 4 or 5 I guess. Waited until he showed interest not when I forced in onto him. Stage after stage depending on his level of awareness and curiosity that way I again wasn't forcing it on him. (child or adult, if you force feed 'em, they're more likely to not want to ingest it) Repetition gets it to be second nature.

5. shadecorp

shadecorp Member

I'm lucky.
    Have three Grandkids.
    Two Grand Daughters
    One Grand Son
    All love to shoot.
    One Grand Daughter
    One Grand Son
    Live in Ohio
    Sent them both an NRA membership.
    The Grand Daughter that lives locally
    spent some time out east
    She got to shoot some Full Auto
    She wants me to move to a civilized state so we can buy a "Thompson"
    Love my GRAND kids :D

6. artbrownsr

artbrownsr New Member

Mine (at this house) range from 6-13, the older one was more into archery than firearms and for the most part was in on our discussions for hunting prep etc. Her mom and stepdad are my main hunting partners, he's ex army now in the Nat. Grd. 3 tours in the sandbox.
    Blkhawk, I'm with YOU, as interest /ability grows add more and keep it growing . Shoot, my interest keeps growing, that's why I'm a member of so many forums.

7. artbrownsr

artbrownsr New Member

House instruction before outside.
    Note the little blonde she's 2 yrs. old and listening to Grampa's every word

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

8. artbrownsr

artbrownsr New Member

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

9. artbrownsr

artbrownsr New Member

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

10. artbrownsr

artbrownsr New Member

These are three of my grandkids representing three moms out of eight moms and 20+ Gkids

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    the Target

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

I found the problem Houston!

11. artbrownsr

artbrownsr New Member

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Look at the target and Wink.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Point at the Target and Wink.

12. artbrownsr

artbrownsr New Member

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Line up the target with the front sight, with the rear sight.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Good sight picture, and he got it on the paper!

13. artbrownsr

artbrownsr New Member

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Nieghbor intrusion, made a safety class point.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Waiting for a clear, didn't happen so the class ended due to an inconsiderate person that would have been well clear if they had stayed on their own property! they stayed in the unsafe zone a good 25-35 minutes then it was dinner time and I had to travel back to Anchorage to prepare for work Sat.