Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The TCM 22 is one hot little impressive round without the recoil. Pricing around $.35 per round. For a 22 caliber this is no slouch even for self defense carry. RIA has it in rifle and 1911 style handgun. The rifles cost under $400 and the handguns are around $600.
For the ladies or folks that have trouble with pulling a heavy pull slide this could be their answer while still having a lot of fire power. The slide can be moved back with one finger. Also for those that don't like heavy recoil this steps up for that also. Yep this is a little dog with a big bite but only on the muzzle end.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H9U66OzkAw[/ame]
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KTvDbWdv0s[/ame]
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPzBuznJHCM[/ame]

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Yep. I got to play with the Rock island in 22 tcm. It was fun, but loud!!

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They say it is loud and in the videos it sure did sound very loud.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Assuming my Major Hoople persona, I say:

The cartridge - and its gun - needs another source besides RIA.

It is not an unalloyed success as a handgun cartridge', maybe because it's a hot bottleneck rifle cartridge.

In order to have a real 'reason-to-exist' as a rifle cartridge, the rifle must be compact in the same manner, to a similar degree. Otherwise, how does it improve on the .223?

Harumph.

Fap!

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I imagine the 223 ammo is also less costly and much more available. So VT you have a good point. But like everything else in guns they have to keep bringing out new variations, aka latest and greatest on the block to keep sales moving.
botta boom!

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Otherwise, how does it improve on the .223?

It really doesn't.
In rifle form.
In a handgun, it allows the bullet to actually get up to around 2900 fps (depending on bullet weight) in a 5" barrel. If you shot a 223 in a 5" barrel, it really would only be a slightly improved .22 LR. That means it's using faster powder. So it's an improvement in handgun performance, but not in rifle. Especially a bolt action. What would you use a bolt action 22 tcm for? I imagine that they offer the rifle version so you can have cartridge compatibilty or something.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Good points, SG.

Re Major Hoople, do you remember him? Seems like you are way too young.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I got my RIA 22TCm a couple of weeks ago. Have shot 100 rds thru it and every time I pull the trigger I am amazed by the power and fireball that comes out of the barrel but yet hardly any recoil. Its true Armscor is the only one that makes ammo for it but I have found some online for around 19 bucks a box. They actually have two different kinds Armscor USA and Armscor Precision with the Precision being a couple bucks more. Some say it is more reliable but I haven't tried any as I have not had any problems with the USA brand.

Attachments

·
Registered
992 Posts
Maybe we will see a semi-auto home defense carbine in the near future. Then you could have ammo compatibility with your SD sidearm and your HD longarm...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts